Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is offering free online course on Introduction to Java Programming – Part 2. This course is comprised of two 5-week parts. Part 1 introduces programming fundamentals. Part 2 covers additional advanced topics.
The first MOOC to teach the fundamental elements of Java programming and data abstraction.
Course At A Glance
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) (www.ust.hk) is a world-class international research university excelling in science, technology and business as well as humanities and social science. Internationally renowned for its academic rigor and accomplishments, the University promotes interdisciplinary studies and provides holistic education, nurturing well-rounded graduates with a strong entrepreneurial spirit, innovative thinking and relevant skills to thrive in a knowledge economy.
About This Course
This Java course will provide you with a strong understanding of basic Java programming elements and data abstraction using problem representation and the object-oriented framework. As the saying goes, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” This course will use sample objects such as photos or images to illustrate some important concepts to enhance understanding and retention. You will learn to write procedural programs using variables, arrays, control statements, loops, recursion, data abstraction and objects in an integrated development environment.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Take a “real-life” problem and abstract out the pertinent aspects necessary to solve it in an algorithmic manner.
- Formulate formal solutions to well-defined problems using the logic of a programming language.
- Implement formal solutions in Java using an integrated development environment.
- Understand the basics of data abstraction using the object-oriented framework.
Ting-Chuen Pong is a Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at HKUST. He is one of the founding faculty members of HKUST, where he served as the Associate Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Associate Dean of Engineering and Director of the Sino Software Research Institute.
Tony W K Fung
Tony is a teaching associate at HKUST. He received his MPhil in Computer Science from HKUST. He is enthusiastic in Java and educational development with technology, and served as a member in the Java Community Process.
Leo P M Fan
Leo is an instructional assistant at HKUST. He received his MPhil in Computer Science from HKUST. His research interests include education technologies.
Introduction to Java Programming Part 1 – COMP102.1x is recommended.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)