University of Queensland (UQ) is offering free online course on Leaders in Global Development. This course is intended for participants who have experience or a strong interest in working in development.
In this business and management course applicants will learn key leadership skills, concepts and theories needed to be a successful leader in development and determine own leadership style within different development contexts. This course will start on August 18, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 10-12 hours per week
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: University of Queensland (UQ) and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course will start on August 18, 2017
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge UQ ranks in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings. UQ is one of only three Australian members of the global Universitas 21 and a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) universities. UQ is recognised for its world standard specialised research and teaching excellence; having won more Australian Awards for University Teaching than any other in the country.
About This Course
This business and management course is an introduction to key leadership theories and concepts that you will need to be an effective leader and manager. You will learn how leadership is different from management.
This is the first course in the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters. In order to get the most out of this course, University recommend that you complete this course prior to completing the other courses in the MicroMasters. We also recommend that you have experience working in the development sector or a strong interest in this area.
Why Take This Course?
Students will learn practical skills needed to build a shared vision, and lead across boundaries. You will learn to recognise your own leadership style, and the leadership styles of others. You will learn the different types of power, and tools for gaining legitimacy in your development work.
Upon course completion, you will be prepared to take on leadership roles in development and work effectively across geographical, cultural, organizational and disciplinary boundaries.
Students will also develop a personalized leadership plan throughout the course, which will help you continue your leadership journey after you complete the MOOC.
- To understand the importance of leadership in the development sector
- To engage in self-leadership, by building self-awareness about your strengths and weaknesses as a leader in the context of global development
- To understand different forms of leadership that are relevant to the development sector, and the key to successfully engaging in these forms of leadership
- To identify techniques to ethically build power (the potential to influence) and design influence strategies
Mark Moran is the Chair of Development Effectiveness at the University of Queensland’s Institute for Social Science Research.
Andre Taylor currently works as The International WaterCentre’s Leadership Specialist and directs his own consulting business.
Bernard McKenna is an Associate Professor in the UQ Business School. His research interests include wisdom and knowledge management in the new economy; technical, political, and managerialist discourse; and professional writing.
Dr. Ali Intezari
Ali Intezari is a lecturer at the UQ Business School. Dr Intezari’s research interests include organizational wisdom theory, strategic decision-making under uncertainty (knowledge- and wisdom-based view), knowledge management and knowledge leadership in international organizations.
Participants should have experience, or a strong interest in working in development. While not compulsory, it is recommended that learners have completed a bachelor degree in a relevant discipline.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghome page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)