Linux Foundation is offering free online course on Introduction to Apache Hadoop. This course is perfect for IT professionals seeking a high-level overview of Hadoop, and who want to find out if a Hadoop-driven big data strategy is the right solution to meet their data retention and analytics needs.
This course will help anyone who wants to set up a small-scale Hadoop test environment to gain experience working with this exciting open source technology. The course will start on June 8, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 15 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Linux Foundation and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on June 8, 2017
Linus Torvalds sparked an open source revolution with a short email declaring he was doing a new project “just for fun.” Today, Linux powers 98% of the world’s super computers, most of the servers powering the Internet, the majority of financial trades worldwide and tens of millions of Android mobile phones and consumer devices.
About This Course
Everywhere you look today, enterprises are embracing big data-driven customer relationships and building innovative solutions based on insights gained from data. According to IBM, every day we create 2.5 quintillion bytes of data — so much that 90% of the data in the world today has been created in the last two years.
Why Take This Course?
The demand for storing this unprecedented amount of information is enough of a challenge, but when you add the need for analytics, the technology requirements truly start pushing the envelope on state-of-the-art IT infrastructures. Fortunately, the Open Source community has stepped up to this challenge and developed a storage and processing layer called Apache Hadoop. Add the dozens of other projects integrating with Apache Hadoop and you have the whole Hadoop ecosystem.
- The origins of Apache Hadoop and its big data ecosystem
- Deploying Hadoop in a clustered environment of a modern day enterprise IT
- Building data lake management architectures around Apache Hadoop
- Leveraging the YARN framework to effectively enable heterogeneous analytical workloads on Hadoop clusters
- Leveraging Apache Hive for an SQL-centric view into the enterprise data lake
- An introduction to managing key Hadoop components (HDFS, YARN and Hive) from the command line
- Securing and scaling your data lakes in multi-tenant enterprise environments
Roman Shaposhnik is the Director of Open Source Strategy at Pivotal Software, Inc., and VP of Technology for ODPi at The Linux Foundation. He is a committer on Apache Hadoop, co-creator of Apache Bigtop, and contributor to various other Hadoop ecosystem projects.
- Experience with Linux
- Basic familiarity with Java applications
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)