Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) is offering free online course on Introduction to Management Information Systems (MIS): A Survival Guide. In this six-week course, applicants will gain the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in an MIS-dominated corporate world.
This course will focus on what MIS are, how they influence your current or prospective jobs, why they impose specific – and sometimes seemingly absurd – operational procedures, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage in your professional life. The course will start on February 13, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $50
Session: Course Starts on February 13, 2018
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) is an innovative public university committed to the improvement of society through teaching of the highest quality and cutting-edge research in line with stringent international guidelines. UC3M has three degree-granting Schools, in addition to a School of Graduate Studies and a Doctoral School.
About This Course
This MIS course will cover supporting tech infrastructures (Cloud, Databases, Big Data), the MIS development/ procurement process, and the main integrated systems, ERPs, such as SAP®, Oracle® or Microsoft Dynamics Navision®, as well as their relationship with Business Process Redesign.
Management Information Systems (MIS) are an integral part of today’s professional landscape. From customer relationship management (CRM) systems handling the day to day interactions with clients and prospects, to financial systems issuing invoices and paying bills, day to day working life is increasingly controlled by these systems that dictate what to do and how.
This course will focus on what MIS are, how they influence your current or prospective jobs, why they impose specific – and sometimes seemingly absurd – operational procedures, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage in your professional life.
Grasping the key concepts in MIS does not need to be daunting. We will use real world examples to illustrate key concepts, and strive to strike a proper balance between clarity / amenity and conceptual soundness. Join us on this stimulating journey that will allow you to better understand and perform in your current or desired job.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Understand Management Information Systems (MIS) and their role in today’s organizations
- Identify how MIS shapes and controls current (or prospective) jobs and how to use this insight to improve your own job performance and satisfaction and and enhance your career prospects
- Become familiar with the major trends in MIS and MIS infrastructures (Cloud, Big Data, ERPs, outsourcing) and how these evolutions will affect workplaces and business strategies
- Bridge the MIS-related second “digital gap” that exists, after basic computer literacy, in most professional jobs
Week 1: MISs. Importance. Procurement
Week 2: The Communications revolution – Distributed Information Systems
Week 3: Data, Databases, Big Data
Week 4: Integrated Information Systems (ERP) and Integrated Business Processes
Week 5: Implementing and customizing ERPs and other major MISs. Who adapts to whom?
Week 6: MISs in decision-making
Alfonso Durán Heras
Alfonso Durán, coordinator of this MOOC, is full professor of Engineering Management at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M).
Iván García Miranda
Ivan García is associate professor at the Engineering Management Area at UC3M since 2010.
Alejandra Pajares Barroso
Alejandra Pajares Barroso is a student in the Industrial Engineering postgraduate program at UC3M.
Jesús Sáez Alegre
Jesús Sáez Alegre is a student in the Industrial Engineering postgraduate program at UC3M.
Basic user-level computer literacy. Business awareness is recommended.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)