Microsoft is offering free online course on Writing Professional Code. In this four-week course, applicants will learn how to elevate your game to the next level.
Students will learn and practice key skills that developers use every day. Work with a collection of code in a version control system like Git, use open source (OSS) libraries, make updates to existing code, improve its readability, and even take a look at security.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Microsoft and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on Self-Paced
We live in a mobile-first and cloud-first world. Computing is ubiquitous, and experiences span devices and exhibit ambient intelligence. Billions of sensors, screens and devices – in conference rooms, living rooms, cities, cars, phones, PCs – are forming a vast network and streams of data that simply disappear into the background of our lives.
About This Course
“Professional” sounds boring, right? Wrong! Join expert Andrew Byrne, who has more than 25 years of software development experience, and see how fun it can be to apply your coding skills to actual problems. Create an online portfolio of code on GitHub, and receive feedback from your peers through code reviews and discussions.
Why Take This Course?
Being a professional developer is about managing change, evolving a codebase, maintaining quality, and keeping your users and your business safe.
- Work with code that’s maintained in a version control system, such as Git.
- Improve code and make it easier to understand using refactoring, code comments, naming conventions and documentation.
- Update an existing code base.
- Code with confidence with the help of unit tests.
- Give and receive meaningful feedback in a peer code review.
- Contribute to Open-Source Software (OSS) projects on GitHub.
- Learn how to keep your code secure and respect your user’s privacy.
Andrew is a Senior Content Developer at Microsoft. His passion for software and teaching comes from 20+ years of software development experience at Microsoft, Siemens, Ericsson and his own startup.
Knowledge of C# is required
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)