Delft University of Technology is offering free online course on Open Government. This course is aimed at students with basic knowledge of information and communication technology and multi-actor systems.
This course will empower you by helping you grasp the key principles surrounding open government. The course will start on May 28, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 7 hours per week
Subject: Social Sciences
Institution: TU Delft and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $50
Session: Course will start on May 28, 2018
Delft University of Technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands. Our research is inspired by the desire to increase fundamental understanding, as well as by societal challenges. University encourage student to be independent thinkers so they will become engineers capable of solving complex problems. Students have chosen Delft University of Technology because of our reputation for quality education and research.
About This Course
How can governments become more open and transparent, while simultaneously dealing with various challenges, such as data sensitivity? How can open government data be made available to improve public policy making? Which technologies are available to make governments more open and use open government data?
Governments all over the world aim to become more open and transparent in order to establish closer ties with their constituents. However, releasing government data involves complex challenges and poses two major concerns. First, many different participants are involved and there are various dependencies between them, and second, the technologies that support open government are fragmented. In addition, it is unclear how different contexts should alter the best practices for open government.
Why Take This Course?
This course explores the foundations and objectives of Open Government and examines current developments, including the opening and reuse of governmental data such as the release of data by governments in America and Europe. This course will empower you by helping you grasp the key principles surrounding open government.
- Basic concepts related to Open Government and Open Government Data
- How to analyze and discuss benefits, barriers and potential negative effects of a particular open government case and an open government data case
- How to analyze public values and best practices related to open government
- How to apply the open government principles in various situations
- How to understand potential negative and positive effects Open Government might bring to the workplace
Amr Ali Eldin
Bastiaan van Loenen
Week 1: Introduction to Open Government
Week 2. Opening and reusing government data
Week 3. Technical and judicial aspects of governmental information sharing
Week 4. Open government and public values and conclusions
Week 5. Exam
- Basic knowledge of information and communication technology
- Basic knowledge of multi-actor systems
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honour code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghome page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)