The Open University is offering free online course on Basic Science: Understanding Experiments. This course is intended for anyone with an interest in making scientific observations through experimentation, and does not require any previous experience of studying the subject.
This hands-on course introduces you to science-based skills through simple and exciting physics, chemistry and biology experiments. This course will start on .
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Basic Science: Understanding Experiments
Institution: Open University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on
The Open University is rated one of the best in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. The OU is one of only four UK universities to have consistently achieved more than 90% in the survey’s history. Over 70% of students are in full-time or part-time employment, and four out of five FTSE 100 companies have sponsored staff to take OU courses.
About This Course
This practical, hands-on course aims to help you start thinking like a scientist by carrying out experiments at home and making scientific observations.
You will carry out simple experiments to extract the DNA from fruit or vegetables, observe osmosis in action and bake a potato to destruction! You’ll also investigate how different liquids behave when frozen and how much water an everyday food item contains.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Demonstrate and carry out a basis scientific experiment
- Investigate and test any hypothesis using experimental techniques
- Record and analyze results from your experiments
- Discuss and share ideas with fellow students online
This course is intended for anyone with an interest in making scientific observations through experimentation, and does not require any previous experience of studying the subject.
Citizen Scientist interested in all things new in science and technology. My research involves making measurements on active volcanoes.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).