The Business of Film’ is a free online course by the Open University available on FutureLearn.com. This course is aimed at those who already have a basic understanding of film production.
In this course applicants will explore the intriguing world of film production and find out about the complexities of development, distribution and finance. The course will start on
Course At Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Business of Film
Institution: Open University (OU) and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning.
About This Course
Making a film is a creative exploit, but just like any other business, the aim is also to make money.
The Business of Film has been created by The Open University, in association with Pinewood Studios – the leading provider of studio services to the global screen-based industries. The studios are where Star Wars: Episode VII – the Force Awakens and the 24th James Bond film Spectre were recently filmed.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Demonstrate and understand the contribution of film to the economy and how this business model is changing in the digital era.
- Apply and understand the processes in selecting and selling a film idea within the changing concept of ownership in a digital world.
- Apply and understanding the impact emerging versus traditional platforms has on the distribution and marketing of film.
- Demonstrate and understanding how films are financed and the opportunities emerging investment platforms has on film finance.
- Assess and understand the function and components of film making.
- Identify and understanding the impact of future trends and change on the film
This course is aimed at those who already have a basic understanding of film production.
Hilary is a strategic design academic with research interests in the economic and cultural role of the creative industries. She teaches OU courses in Strategy and Design Thinking.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).