The Open University is offering free online course on Lottery of Birth. The course does not assume any prior knowledge of the issues surrounding birth or inequalities.
Students will have the opportunity to critically analyze an initiative of your choosing from your own country and review the analysis of a fellow learner. This course will start on August 21, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: The Lottery of Birth
Institution: The Open University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on August 21, 2017
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning.
Since it began in 1969, the OU has taught more than 1.8 million students and has almost 220,000 current students, including more than 15,000 overseas.
About This Course
Students will also look at the lottery of birth as it relates to becoming a parent. You’ll consider how individual countries and global organizations are responding to demographic changes and predictions and how this plays out in the lives of individual women and men in different parts of the world.
Why Take This Course?
This free online course will look at both the big picture of the ‘lottery of birth’ and the smaller, human stories. You will examine the inequalities of birth, particularly being born rich or poor and being born female or male.
Birth is a lottery. Where, when and to whom you are born and the society into which you are born will influence your life chances.
The course does not assume any prior knowledge of the issues surrounding birth or inequalities. It is post-graduate level and encourages personal research and data interpretation.
Please note that this course includes some content of a sensitive nature, including discussions around abortion and female genital mutilation (FGM).
Dr Pam Foley is a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Wellbeing, Education and Language Studies at The Open University.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).