Purdue University is offering free online course on business accounting. This course is built to fit the needs of everyone, including those who have a 401k, other retirement plans or want to invest in different companies.
Over five-week applicants will learn the basics of the four financial statements to help analyze business investments and make profitable decisions. The course will start on January 10, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Purdue University and edx
Price: Free. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on January 10, 2017
Purdue University is a vast laboratory for discovery. The university is known not only for science, technology, engineering, and math programs, but also for our imagination, ingenuity, and innovation. It’s a place where those who seek an education come to make their ideas real — especially when those transformative discoveries lead to scientific, technological, social, or humanitarian impact.
About This Course
Whether you are starting your own business or supplementing your understanding of accounting, this business course will help you understand accounting basics and give you meaningful financial tools to understand business.
Understanding the four basic financial statements, Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Retained Earnings, and Statement of Cash Flows, is key to evaluating companies for your investment decisions. But this business course goes beyond just understanding these financial statements. Business Accounting Basics takes you through the building blocks and accounting cycles that create each statement. In addition, this course will give you the basic tools to project profitability and break your costs down to help analyze any company.
This course is built to fit the needs of everyone, including those who have a 401k, other retirement plans or want to invest in different companies.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Necessary accounting terminology and concepts
- The basics of the four financial statements
- The building blocks of financial accounting and the different accounting cycles in a business break-even analysis, target profit analysis, and degree of operating leverage
Kimberly Fatten is a Certified Public Accountant with over 20 years of industry experience in manufacturing, construction, insurance, and education.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)