Purdue University is offering free online course on Hispanic Culture Through Film. This course is designed for anyone who can understand English, and is interested in Hispanic culture and film.
In this three week course, applicants will get an introduction to Hispanic culture through the films of Luis Buñuel, Pedro Almodóvar and Guillermo Del Toro. This course will start on October 30, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 3 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Hispanic Culture through Film
Institution: Purdue University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on October 30, 2017
One of the four best public universities in the US, Purdue delivers an engaging learning experience and a world-class degree.
About This Course
Each week, we will look at a different Hispanic director and you’ll discover why so many people like their work. You’ll train your eyes and ears, evaluating photography, movement, color, acting and story, helping you to enjoy all types of film.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Explain why Almodóvar, Buñuel, and del Toro have achieved prominence
- Describe the mise en scène of a film
- Compare and describe how photography, movement and color are used to make meaning in various films
- Evaluate acting, story, and ideology in a given film
- Recognize and talk about ways the cultures in the films are different from their own.
This course is designed for anyone who can understand English, and is interested in Hispanic culture and film. No prior experience or qualifications are necessary.
Patricia Hart is a Professor of Twentieth Century Spanish Literature and Film at Purdue University. She is the author of dozens of scholarly articles and chapters on Hispanic film, lit, and culture.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).