Purdue University is offering free online course on Improve Your Intercultural Competence. Students will also learn to succeed in a diverse workplace and appreciate the value of cultural differences.
In this four- week course, applicants will develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge required to thrive in diverse workplaces. This course will start on August 21, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Improve Your Intercultural Competence
Institution: Purdue University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on August 21, 2017
One of the four best public universities in the US, Purdue delivers an engaging learning experience and a world-class degree.
About This Course
According to the Intelligence Unit at The Economist, 90% of executives in 68 countries say cross-cultural management is their biggest challenge.
Good intercultural communication and an understanding of cultural differences are now critical for professionals, especially those part of global networks.
Why Take This Course?
In this course not only will you develop the skills and acquire the knowledge needed to meet the global challenges today’s world presents.
- Interact with people who are culturally diverse (openness)
- Ask questions of other cultures (curiosity)
- Describe own cultural rules and biases (self-awareness)
- Differentiate complex worldview frameworks (cultural worldview frameworks)
- Discuss differences in forms of communication (verbal and non-verbal communication)
- Recognize the feelings of diverse cultural groups (empathy)
This course is for anyone looking to improve their intercultural competence – you might be a student preparing for the world of work or study abroad, or a HR worker or corporate trainer, or you could be a professional working in marketing. You don’t need any prior experience.
Charles A. Calahan
I teach at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA and facilitate the intercultural development of faculty, staff and students. I am a member of the Purdue University Teaching Academy.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).