Technical University of Munich (TUM) is offering free online course on Six Sigma: Define and Measure. This course reviews basic statistics used in Six Sigma and quality management, applying them to quality problems and methods. Therefore, basic math skills are necessary.
The overall objective of this course is to understand the background and meaning of the Six Sigma methodology and the role of the DMAIC process improvement cycle. The course will start on June 1, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Technical University of Munich (TUM) and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $88
Session: Course Starts on June 1, 2017
Technical University of Munich (TUM) ranks as one of Europe’s leading universities. It placed first among German universities in the International Shanghai Ranking, in both 2011 and 2012, and is one of the few to hold the title of Excellence University. Our researchers are committed to finding solutions to the major challenges facing society: health & nutrition, energy & natural resources, environment & climate, information & communication, mobility & infrastructure. TUM is based in Munich, amid the strongest science and industry network in continental Europe. Our university thinks entrepreneurially and acts globally. It was the first German university to open an international campus abroad: TUM Asia in Singapore. Today, TUM has more than 37,000 students and 511 professors.
About This Course
Understand the background and meaning of Six Sigma and the five steps of the DMAIC process improvement flow: Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control. Discuss what “Quality” means and how to identify the Voice of the Customer.
Why Take This Course?
You will learn how to set an improvement project goal, calculate process yield, and identify Critical to Quality parameters.
You will learn how to map a process and to use the necessary statistical techniques to establish the baseline performance of a process and to calculate the process capability.
- To understand the background and meaning of the Six Sigma methodology and the role of the DMAIC process improvement cycle.
- To identify the Voice of the Customer and translate into Critical to Quality parameters.
- To calculate process yield and process capability.
- How to apply the Define and Measure phases of the DMAIC cycle in your work or research, to identify problems and quantitatively assess the impact of process changes using statistical analysis.
Professor of Production and Supply Chain Management, Technische Universität München
Senior Lecturer in Operations Management, Technische Universität München
This course reviews basic statistics used in Six Sigma and quality management, applying them to quality problems and methods. Therefore, basic math skills are necessary.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)