The University of Texas at Arlington is offering free online course on Multimodal Learning Analytics. This course is intended for those who have a bachelor’s degree and are interested in developing learning and data science skills for employment in education, corporate, nonprofit, and military sectors.
In this three week course, applicants will learn about multimodal learning analytics, a different way to do learning analytics. This course will start on May 14, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 3 weeks
Effort: 5-7 hours pw
Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
Institution: University of Texas at Arlington and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on May 14, 2018
The University of Texas at Arlington is one of the nation’s most dynamic centers of higher learning, setting the standard for educational excellence in the thriving North Texas region it calls home. An academic centerpiece in the heart of the Dallas-Fort worth Metroplex for nearly 120 years, UT Arlington was founded in 1895 as a private liberal arts institution.
About This Course
In this course, you will learn about multimodal learning analytics, a different way to do learning analytics. You will learn how to conduct learning analytics in face-to-face, hands-on, unbounded, and analog learning settings such as classrooms and labs. You will learn to capture, process, and fuse natural rich modalities of communication, such as speech, writing, and nonverbal interaction (e.g., movements, gestures, facial expressions, gaze, biometrics, etc.) during real learning activities.
Why Take This Course?
The course content is a gentle introduction to this new approach to learning analytics: its promises, its challenges, its tools and methodologies. To follow the same spirit of multimodal learning analytics, this course will include hands-on learning experiences analyzing different types of signals captured from real environments.
- When it is appropriate to apply multimodal learning analytics
- How to capture, process, and fuse verbal and nonverbal modes of communication
- Signal interpretation frameworks (SSI) to work with synchronized data from different modalities
- How to conduct a multimodal learning analytics study
Xavier Ochoa is a Principal Professor at ESPOL. He is the Vice-President of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR) and is editor of the Journal of Learning Analytics.
University highly recommends that you take the previous course in this series before beginning this course:
Knowledge Inference and Structure Discovery for Education
This course is intended for those who have a bachelor’s degree and are interested in developing learning and data science skills for employment in education, corporate, nonprofit, and military sectors. Experience with programming and statistics will be beneficial to participants.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)