The University of Washington is offering free online course on Cyber security: The CISO’s View. This course delves into the role that the CISO plays in cyber security operations.
In this four week course, applicants will learn about cyber security operations and the role played by the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) in the industry. This course will start on July 10, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 2-5 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: University of Washington and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $79
Session: Course Starts on July 10, 2017
The University of Washington is one of the preeminent public research universities in the world dedicated to preparing leaders of change, promoters of ideas, and creating a culture of collaboration.
About This Course
The Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) in any given organization serves a leadership position, protecting the data and digital systems that a company’s employees as well as its customers depend upon.
Why Take This Course?
Coursework will fully explore the CISO’s view from the top, as well as the position’s toolkit, which includes policy, procedures and practices, technologies, awareness training, and audit. It will also dive into the approaches taken in private industry, government, academia, and the military.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the four domains of cyber security and the differences between their rules, regulations, and desired outcomes;
- Explain the role of the CISO across all domains, and the differences between CISO roles among the domains;
- Identify cyber security specific tools for their appropriate domains and situations.
Barbara Endicott-Popovsky is the director of the Center for Information Assurance and Cybersecurity. She also teaches cybersecurity in several University of Washington programs.
Curiosity and interest in cyber security
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)