The BRASA invites applications from graduate and undergraduate students for a one-time $1,500 travel scholarship to do exploratory research or language study in Brazil.Brazilian Studies Association (BRASA) invites applications for Brazil Initiation Travel Scholarship to pursue research and language study. The scholarship is one-time $1,500 travel scholarship for graduate and undergraduate students.
The aim of the scholarship is to heighten the student’s interest in Brazil and deepen his/her commitment to Brazilian studies in the United States
The Brazil Initiation Scholarship (BIS) is a key component of BRASA’s agenda to expand Brazilian Studies in the United States.
Course Level: The scholarship is available to pursue research or language study.
Study Subject: The scholarship is awarded in all disciplines.
Scholarship Award: The scholarship will cover $1,500.
Number of Scholarships: Number of scholarship is not given.
Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Highest priority will be given to applicants who are outstanding college seniors, recent college graduates applying to graduate programs in Brazilian studies or in Latin American studies with the intent of focusing on Brazil, or new graduate students already focusing on Brazil.
- Students from all disciplines in the humanities and social sciences are eligible. In exceptional cases, applications from the natural sciences will be given consideration (for example, someone in environmental sciences who is writing a dissertation on the Amazon or pollution in São Paulo and who plans to continue research on Brazil).
- Preference will be given to those applicants who have little or no in-country experience in Brazil. A student requesting funding to undertake an exploratory research trip should present evidence at the time of the application that he/she has achieved at least an intermediate level of competence in the Portuguese language sufficient to carry out the proposed research. Successful applicants may combine BIS with other grants, scholarships, or awards, as long as he/she specifies clearly how the funds are going to be spent (for example, the BRASA scholarship might be used to cover travel costs, while a grant from another source could be used for living expenses, etc.). Applicants are required to be BRASA members at the time of submission.
Nationality: Brazilian applicants are eligible for the scholarship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be graduate and undergraduate students
English Language Requirement: Applicants must have fluency in English.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via email.
- The application cover page (download form)
- A two-page prospectus (double-spaced, 12-point font)
- A two-page résumé or CV;
- A budget specifying how the $1500 will be spent
- In the case of undergraduates or recent college graduates, a letter of intent to study Brazil in graduate school
- A two-page bibliography on the subject of study, and evidence that the applicant has achieved at least an intermediate level of competence in Portuguese (competence can be demonstrated by a transcript or a letter from a university instructor of Portuguese)
- Proof of membership in BRASA
- Two letters of recommendation from professors
- Copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- The letters of recommendation and transcripts may be emailed directly to BRASA at the address below. All other materials should be submitted together either as PDF or Word files in a single email to brasa-at-brown.edu. In the subject line write “BIS 2018 Submission + your name” and nothing else. (e.g. BIS 2018 Submission Smith, Mary).
Application Deadline: The application deadline is December 15, 2017.