British Council is inviting applicants for its new Art new Audiences (nAnA) Artists Grant. This grant is open to East African and British artists, arts organizations, and art collectives.
The aim of this scholarship is to create new art together and to showcase this art to audiences across East Africa and the UK.
The British Council is a British organisation specialising in international cultural and educational opportunities. It works in over 100 countries: promoting a wider knowledge of the UK and the English language; encouraging cultural, scientific, technological and educational co-operation with the UK; and changing people’s lives through access to UK education, skills, qualifications, culture and society.
Course Level: This grant is available for Artists.
Study Subject: This grant is available in the field of art.
Scholarship Award: This grant will cover the following:
- Up to £30,000 will be allocated to each project.
Numbers of Scholarships: Not Known.
Scholarship can be taken in the UK.
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicants can apply as an individual artist(s), an arts organisation(s) or an art collective(s).
- Each project must focus on the creation of a new piece, or a new body of art.
At least three different countries must be involved in the project, with at least two of these countries.
- Being from the East African region (and from the countries specified above)
nAnA focuses on supporting art sectors within cities from the countries specified – artists, artworks and audiences must be connected to cities.
- Each project must focus on reaching an 18 to 35-year-old face to face, and online audience. nAnA aims to increase the visibility and awareness of new contemporary art from East Africa and the UK. The engagement of an online and/or face to face audience is therefore essential.
- All key contributors involved in the project must be between 18 and 35-years-old.
- The projects can be match funded by other financial partners.
- Applicants can apply more than once to new Art new Audiences.
- Those who received nAnA 2016 grants (either primary or secondary partner) are also eligible to apply to nAnA 2017. However a primary nAnA 2016 partner cannot apply as the lead partner for nAnA 2017.
- All projects must be completed within 12 months of receiving funds from the British Council.
- A mid-project report and an end of project report will be expected in order to receive payment, a template will be provided for these reports.
- The project must be administrated by one person or organisation. They must have a bank account and a national ID in order to receive funds. They must also be responsible for the mid-project, end of project report, and for the externals communications of the project.
- 70% of funds will be granted upon signing a contract with the British Council, the remaining 30% of funds will be granted upon submitting your mid-project report.
Nationality: England, Ethiopia, Kenya, Northern Ireland, Rwanda, Scotland, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, and Wale applicants are eligible to apply for this grant.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement Applicants must be an artist.
English Language Requirement: Applicants must meet the necessary language proficiency requirements of the host institution.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply online:
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email from the British Council confirming receipt. You will be notified on Friday 8 September 2017 if your project has been shortlisted.
- Note: you will not be notified if your project has not been shortlisted.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is August 13, 2017.