The Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC) is inviting applications for CSC-Leiden University Joint Scholarship Programme. The scholarship is open to Chinese students for pursuing PhD and research programme at Leiden University.
The aim of the Scholarship is to developed research programmes and give support to Chinese researchers.
Leiden University was founded in 1575 and is one of Europe’s leading international research universities. It has seven faculties in the arts, sciences and social sciences, spread over locations in Leiden and The Hague. The University has over 5,500 staff members and 25,800 students. The motto of the University is ‘Praesidium Libertatis’ – Bastion of Freedom.
Scholarship is awarded to graduated master students with the Chinese nationality, who want to take a full PhD or visit Leiden University for research purposes.
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing full PhD and research programme.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in these subjects:
- Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Humanities, including: Linguistics, Art History & Literary Studies, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Philosophy and World Religions
- Science, including: Mathematics, Computer Science, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Drug Research, Biology and Environmental Sciences
Scholarship Award: The CSC scholarship cover the following:
- Exemption from registration fee and tuition/bench fee
- A living allowance of € 1.200 per month (including health insurance)
- International travel (to/from The Netherlands)
Scholarship can be taken in the Netherlands
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
- You are a citizen of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application.
- You hold a master’s degree.
- You are under the age of 35.
- The academic entry requirements of the relevant graduate school must be fulfilled, including a high level of English language proficiency and a completed master’s degree.
- You must hold an acceptance letter (standard format) from Leiden University.
- You should satisfy the CSC selection criteria by completing the CSC Application Form and the CSC Employer Reference Form.
- CSC awardees must return to China upon completion of their PhD research.
Nationality: The students of China can apply for this scholarship.
College Admission Requirement:
Entrance Requirement: The specifics of the admission requirements and procedures are set by each Graduate School
English Language Requirement: Leiden University accepts the following English language tests:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): academic modules only, with a minimum score of 6.0 for most for most Dutch taught bachelor’s programmes; and a minimum score of 6.5 or 7.0 for most English taught bachelor’s programmes. See the individual programme descriptions for exact scores.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): with a minimum score of 79-80 (internet-based) for most Dutch taught bachelor’s programmes; and a minimum score of 90 or 100 (internet-based) for most English taught bachelor’s programmes. See the individual programme descriptions for exact scores.
- Cambridge English Exam:
- Advanced (CAE) with minimum grade C or Proficiency (CPE ).
How to Apply: Application procedure for an acceptance letter of Leiden University.
|1||Find a supervisor
A PhD programme at Leiden University has a duration of four years and consists of independent and original research under the supervision of a professor.More information about finding a supervisor.
|Before 12 March 2018|
|2||Admission Graduate school
Leiden University’s PhD programmes are focused within 8 separate Graduate Schools. For admission procedures please contact the relevant Graduate School.
|Before 12 March 2018|
Ask your supervisor to write an acceptance letter for you, using the acceptance letter format full PhD study or acceptance letter format visiting PhD researcher (Word document).The letter must be signed by your promotor/supervisor and printed on Leiden University letterhead paper.
|As soon as you have found a supervisor AND are admitted to the graduate school, but by 5 March 2018 at the latest.|
|4||Copy acceptance letter
You will receive the signed acceptance letter by scanned email via your supervisor. A copy will be sent to the Scholarship Team by your supervisor. Acceptance letters received after the deadline of 12 March 2018 will not be considered.
|12 March 2018|
|5||Apply for the CSC scholarship
You can apply for the CSC-LU joint scholarship on the CSC website.
An essential document for the application is the acceptance letter mentioned under step 4. Please check the CSC website for the additional documents that you need for the scholarship application.
|Between 20 March and 5 April 2018|
|6||List of suitable candidates
The Scholarship Team will provide the China Scholarship Council with the list of suitable candidates to be considered for the scholarship programme. Please be aware that you can only be nominated if you are admitted to the graduate school.
|End of March 2018|
The decision on the scholarship application will be communicated by the China Scholarship Council directly to the student and to the Scholarship Team
|End of May 2018|
All practical arrangements relatied to the arrival and stay of the selected candidates (such as visa, accommodation, work space etc.) are the responsibility of the PhD candidate, the Leiden University supervisor and the Leiden University Faculty / Department / Institute / Graduate School contact person.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is March 12, 2018.