Applications are invited for DAAD research grants available for young foreign academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out research and continue their education in Germany. The grants will be awarded for doctoral programme at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education or a non-university research institute in Germany.
The aim of this grant program is to support doctoral projects in Germany. The grants also promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues.
DAAD research grants provide young foreign academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out research and continue their education in Germany.
A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of 2nd class upper division level and a Master of Arts/Master of Science degree is required.
Course Level: Grants are available for graduate and doctoral candidates to carry out research and continue their education in Germany.
Study Subject(s): Grants are awarded in following disciplines: Language and Cultural Studies, Law, Economics and Social Sciences, Mathematics/Natural Sciences, Medicine, Agriculture, Forestry and Nutritional Science.
Scholarship Award: Depending on the academic level, monthly payments of:
- Euros 750.- for graduates,
- Euros 1,000.- for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off research allowance
Under certain circumstances, grant holders completing an uninterrupted stay of over 6 months may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying family members
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
- A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of 2nd class upper division level and a Master of Arts/Master of Science degree are required.
- For francophone countries: A Licence or Maitrise degree of “assez bien” level and a DEA/DESS degree or a Master corresponding to the LMD system are required.
- As a rule, applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the application deadline. If you are already working on a doctoral degree, you should not have started your degree any longer than three years previously.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered.
- The required language level depends on the applicant’s study plans and subject: In the arts, social sciences and in law, at least a good knowledge of German is usually expected. For the natural sciences and engineering, proof of good English language skills may also be accepted if English is spoken at the host institute.
Nationality: Foreign applicants can apply for these DAAD research grants.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Excellently-qualified young academics and scientists who have completed a Master’s degree or Diploma, or in exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree at the latest by the time they begin their grant-supported research.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- Language skills: The required language level depends on the applicant’s study plans and subject: In the arts, social sciences and in law, at least a good knowledge of German is usually expected. For the natural sciences and engineering, proof of good English language skills may also be accepted if English is spoken at the host institute.
How to Apply: Applicants can access the DAAD portal by clicking “Application portal” at the end of the page. Here applicants will find an online application form in which they can enter their application data. Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. DAAD’s Head Office in Bonn will only request certified copies of the submitted documents in paper form if a grant is awarded!
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of publications (max. 10 pages), if applicable
- Extensive and detailed description of the research proposal and a description of previous research work (max. 10 pages)
In the case of individual projects supervised by a university teacher (academic adviser)
- Letter confirming supervision by a university teacher in Germany (academic adviser)
- Schedule of planned research work
In the case of planned participation in a structured doctoral study program:
- Letter of admission to a study program; this can be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application.
- Proof of existing contacts to the coordinator of the doctoral program in the form of copies of correspondence
Also for all applicants:
- Diploma or degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application.
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of placements, etc.)
- German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language
- Copy of school-leaving certificate which entitles holders to study at a university in the home country (with all individual grades)
- An official confirmation of funding for your field trip expenses (e.g. from you home university) or a confirmation that applicants will cover the costs by yourself. Kindly note that the DAAD cannot cover field trips expenses, hence we request you to send us an official confirmation of funding.
- All university certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s), incl. explanation of the grading system.
To be submitted by post:
- The “Application Summary”, which is generated in the portal in PDF format and which can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed; please send 1 copy/copies to the application address.
- Two recent references from university teachers which provide information about their qualifications; please enclose the references in envelopes with each copy of their application
Application Deadline: The application deadline is October 31, 2017.