The DLGS –Dresden Leibniz Graduate School offers doctoral fellowships for up to three years starting in March 2017 at Dresden University of Technology (TUD). The seventh DLGS cohort is oriented towards making cities and regions more sustainable, resilient and inclusive.
The DLGS – Dresden Leibniz Graduate School is a joint activity of the Technische Universität Dresden (TUD), the Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development, Dresden (IÖR), and the Academy for Spatial Research and Planning, Hannover (ARL).
All applicants must be fluent in spoken and written English (confirmed by official certification), and be comfortable working in teams.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing doctoral programme at Dresden University of Technology (TUD).
Study Subject(s): The research topic: “Sustainable, Resilient and Inclusive Cities and Regions”. Doctoral Candidates investigate new concepts, instruments and policies for promoting social development, economic growth, and environmentally sustainable urban and regional development.
Scholarship Award: In general, the fellowship provides the following: a fixed monthly stipend for the fellows’ living expenses in Dresden (determined by the DFG – German Research Foundation), funds to attend the DLGS academic programme (including German lessons for non-native speakers of German language), limited funds for project-related travel and other research expenses, and the round-trip airfare to Germany (both subject to approval by the DLGS management board). There is no additional family supplement provided to fellows accompanied by a partner and/or children.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
- This announcement addresses excellent graduates who are holding an M.A., M.Sc., or equivalent, and a Master thesis grade good or equivalent, corresponding to 2 or better under Germany’s grading system in Spatial Planning and Development (including City and Regional Planning and Landscape Planning), Economics, Sociology, Geography, or Environmental Sciences.
- Applications from outside of Germany are particularly welcome. All applicants must be capable of fluently speaking and writing English (confirmed by official certification), and be comfortable with working in teams. Successful applicants must take up residence in Dresden, and be regularly / daily present at DLGS premises during working hours. Fellowship holders must comply with the regulations for a doctoral degree issued by the relevant faculties of the Dresden University of Technology from which they are to get their doctoral degree.
Nationality: German and international fellows can apply for these doctoral fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Excellent graduates who hold an M.A., M.Sc. or equivalent* in Spatial Planning and Development (including City and Regional Planning and Landscape Planning), Economics, Sociology, Geography or Environmental Sciences are eligible to apply.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: All applicants must be fluent in spoken and written English (confirmed by official certification), and be comfortable working in teams.
How to Apply: Apply for a DLGS Fellowship in three steps:
- Step 1–DLGS Registration
- Step 2–Completion of online form: All documents listed below must be submitted to complete your application, including:
- The filled-out Application Form, including an outline of your doctoral proposal. Official transcripts of master’s certificates and other supporting documents must be uploaded to the online application system. If master’s certificates are not available before application deadline, you are requested to upload transcripts of records or mark sheets. Applicants from non-English speaking countries should supply evidence of their proficiency in written and oral communication in the English language.
- Personal statement, describing your academic background, research experience and career goals.
- References: List the names of two (2) recommenders. At least one of the recommenders must be a university professor.
Step 3–Submission: Then complete the application process by pressing the ‘Submit’ button. You will receive an automated email response informing you that your application has been received.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is September 15, 2017.