Croucher Foundation is offering scholarships for Hong Kong students for the academic year 2017-2018. These awards are intended for those engaged in full-time study leading to a PhD degree at approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong.
The Croucher Foundation is a private endowment set up in 1979 and permanently domiciled in Hong Kong, with the objective of promoting excellence in natural sciences, technology and medicine in Hong Kong.
The Croucher Foundation is a Hong Kong-based charity, and all Croucher awards are made to permanent Hong Kong residents only. For this purpose, all applicants are required to produce evidence to the satisfaction of the Foundation that they are eligible.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing full-time study leading to a PhD degree.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to study or research in natural sciences, medicine or technology in approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong.
Scholarship Award: A Croucher Scholarship normally comprises the following:
- A n annual maintenance allowance which is set at USD30,300 per annum;
- One economy class single air fare at both the beginning and end of the period of the award;
- tuition fees and college fees (where applicable);
- A one-off arrival allowance of USD1,000 to cover the costs of arriving in a new country during the first year of tenure;
- A n academic development allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to allow Croucher Scholarship recipients to attend conferences, workshops or courses during the tenure of their awards;
- A medical insurance allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to cover medical insurance costs;
- A family allowance of up to USD16,000 per annum for the first child and up to USD6,800 per annum for every additional child who resides with the scholar during the entire duration of the award; and
- A commencement award of USD7,575 to be offered towards the end of doctoral studies to cover the cost of thesis preparation and travel expenses for scholars and their family members attending their graduation ceremonies.
Scholarship can be taken in Study Aboard
Eligibility: Scholars must be full-time students.
- All applicants must disclose offers of financial support received, or likely to be received, from other sources. Applicants and scholarship holders must keep the Foundation informed of the progress of applications for support from other sources. Croucher Scholarships are on occasion, and at the discretion of the Foundation as an exception, allowed to be held concurrently with other minor awards.
- Once a Croucher Scholarship has been offered to an applicant, the Foundation reserves the right to ask the successful applicant to withdraw applications for support from certain other sources. If the student still chooses to proceed with such applications despite the Foundation’s request, it will be deemed that he/she opts to give up the Foundation’s offer which will accordingly be withdrawn.
- The Foundation occasionally gives approval for Croucher scholars to be remunerated for a limited amount of teaching or research responsibilities but such Scholars must seek approval in advance from the Foundation which may in its absolute discretion modify the terms of the Scholarship.
- Scholars who finish their studies/research prior to the expiry date of the awards must report to the Foundation, and are liable to return on a pro-rata basis any excess maintenance allowance and other allowances to the Foundation within one month upon the completion of studies/research.
- Scholars who have to terminate their studies for whatever reason must first seek approval from the Foundation at least three months in advance, and return the whole or part of the award at an amount at the discretion of the Foundation. Failure to do so will have legal consequences.
- All awards will be subject to: a satisfactory medical examination by a medical practitioner and the candidate’s acceptance by the institution in which he/she proposes to work.
Nationality: Citizens of Hong Kong can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have obtained First Class Honours in their first degree. Otherwise they will be expected to be able to receive substantively an MPhil degree by September 2017 to become eligible (MPhil transfer to doctoral candidature is not considered as equivalent). Students in their final year of first degree studies may also apply, but any offer of award will be conditional on their obtaining First Class Honours upon their graduation by July 2017.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English
How to apply: All applications should be submitted to the Croucher Foundation online. While proceeding with application, please invite two referees to provide signed letters of reference for you (with your full name) under confidential cover. Please make sure the following documents in PDF format (each not exceeding 8MB) have been uploaded to your application:
- A document, up to 6 pages in length, including:
(a) A proposal describing the research to be undertaken which should include the names of potential supervisors and their research groups. To ensure fairness in competition to all applicants, a proposal once submitted cannot be amended;
(b) A description of the candidate’s research experience, and a list of publications;
- Copies of the applicant’s HKCEE and HKALE certificates (or equivalent) and transcripts of his/her university records;
- Copies of reprints of the applicant’s three most significant publications (if applicable); and
- One set of relevant documentation to provide proof of identity in respect of the applicant’s status as a permanent resident of Hong Kong which is pre-requisite to the award. (For applicants who choose to use their ID card copies, please make sure that both sides of the ID card must be provided. The Foundation is not prepared to take an application any further if there is doubt of the residential status of an applicant upon incomplete documentation.)
Application Deadline: The application deadline is November 15, 2017.