ECA Fellowship for Young African Professionals, 2013
ECA is inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the area of new technologies, including ICTs in the context of new technologies for Development. Applicants from United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member states are eligible for this fellowship. Fellowship covers monthly stipend, airfare. Duration of fellowship is of six months. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. Email your application by 25 October 2013.
Study Subject(s): The fellowship is awarded in the area of new technologies, including ICTs in the context of new technologies for Development.
Course Level: This fellowship is for pursuing research programme.
Scholarship Provider: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
Scholarship can be taken at: Ethiopia, Addis Ababa
1. It is open only to nationals of United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member states
2. Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of USD 3,000. Fellows will be provided with a return air ticket between his/her country of residence and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
3. The fellowship may be extended subject to the availability of funds and based on satisfactory performance 4. Fellows cannot be employed on ECA or United Nations regular positions within six months of completion of a fellowship period.
5. Fellows will have the opportunity to interact with Commission staff and gain exposure to the Commission’s cutting edge research on a variety of leading issues in African development;
6. Fellows will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work programme of the receiving section, the New Technologies and Innovation Section (NTIS). Terms of Reference for each fellowship assignment will be designed to guide the recruitment process. -Advanced university degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) in economics, sociology, management of technology, technology and innovation policy, natural sciences, engineering, statistics, economic anthropology, sociology or a related field, is required. A Ph.D. would be an advantage.
Work Experience -Experience in research/analytical work in technology and innovation for development-related areas in the context of Africa, either in the academia or in private, public or civil society organizations, is required.
-Experience in undertaking impact assessment, cost benefit analysis, or cost effectiveness analysis of policies, strategies and plans, is an advantage.
-Experience in working with African institutions at national, sub-regional or regional level is an advantage. Language
-Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable.
-Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Research fellowship is open only to nationals of United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member states (Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Leone, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, The D.R Congo, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
Scholarship Description: ECA is the regional arm of the United Nations in Africa. Its mandate is to promote the social and economic development of Africa. ECA’s dual role as a regional arm of the UN, and a part of the regional institutional landscape in Africa, positions it well to make unique contributions to member States’ efforts to address their development challenges. Its strength derives from its role as the only UN agency mandated to operate at the regional and sub-regional levels to harness resources and bring them to bear on Africa’s priorities. ECA is inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the area of new technologies, including ICTs in the context of new technologies for Development. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. Candidates applying for the position must be below 36 years of age at the time of the application. Candidates currently enrolled in a PhD programme or with an admission are also welcome to apply. Fellowship within ECA aims to provide practical, on-the job experience to the professionals as they build and develop their professional career at African development institutions, teaching and research think tanks or member States’ government institutions. Fellows will also become familiar with the Commission’s broad programmes and services to member States and sub-regional bodies in addressing environment and sustainable development priorities in Africa.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s): Duration of the fellowship is of six months.
What does it cover? Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of USD 3,000. Fellows will be provided with a return air ticket between his/her country of residence and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Selection Criteria: Not Known
Notification: Not Known
How to Apply: The mode of applying is electronically.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is 25 October 2013.
Important: Scholarship-Positions.com is not responsible for the content of any external websites linked to or referenced on this site.
- Africa Scholarships
- Australia Scholarships
- Austria Scholarships
- Belgium Scholarships
- Canada Scholarships
- China Scholarships
- Denmark Scholarships
- France Scholarships
- Germany Scholarships
- Germany Postdoctoral
- India Scholarships
- Iran Scholarships
- Italy Scholarships
- Japan Scholarships
- New Zealand