EMBO partnered with the European Association for Bioindustries (EuropaBio) is now accepting applications for EMBO | EuropaBio Fellowships that fund exchanges between laboratories in eligible countries lasting between one week (7 days) and six months (180 days).
The goal of the EMBO | EuropaBio Fellowships is to facilitate valuable collaborations with research groups applying techniques that are unavailable in the applicant’s laboratory.
EMBO is an organization of more than 1700 leading researchers that promotes excellence in the life sciences. The major goals of the organization are to support talented researchers at all stages of their careers, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a European research environment where scientists can achieve their best work.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: EMBO subject areas: Genomic & Computational Biology and Systems Biology
Scholarship Award: The fellowships contribute towards travel costs and subsistence of the fellow but not of any dependents. The subsistence rate depends on the country being visited.
Duration of support: The EMBO | EuropaBio Fellowships are intended for visits of one week (7 days) up to six months (180 days).
Number of Scholarships: Up to four fellowships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in All applications should focus on the benefit to the home laboratory and involve movement between countries – one of which must be an EMBC Member State. (For applicants from a laboratory within a non-member state, the short-term fellowships are for a fixed duration of 90 days).
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applicants must be active researchers at any stage in their career with a minimum of one year of research experience as Ph.D. students or equivalent.
- EMBO | EuropaBio Fellowships are awarded for research exchanges between laboratories in EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners. EMBO Short-Term Fellowships are not awarded for exchanges between two laboratories within the same country.
- Applications for research exchanges involving Chile and one of the EMBC Member States or Cooperation Partners will exceptionally be considered.
- Only in exceptional cases will EMBO Short-Term fellowships be awarded for research visits outside the countries listed above. For such cases, it is essential that a justification is provided why there is no appropriate expertise or technology in the EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners.
- Applications from outside the EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners will not be considered.
- Applications to visit laboratories outside EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners will only be considered under exceptional circumstances.
- Applications for the exclusive purpose of training in a technique rather than as a component of a wider research project will not be considered.
- EMBO does not consider applications for the EMBO | EuropaBio Fellowships to prolong visits begun under other auspices, or as bridging fellowships between, or prior to, long term stays funded by EMBO or other organizations.
- Applications for fellowships to attend courses, workshops, or symposia will not be considered.
Nationality: Applicants from the following countries are eligible to apply:
EMBC Member states: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and United Kingdom
EMBC Associate Member states: India, Singapore
Cooperating partner country: Taiwan
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must be active researchers at any stage in their career with a minimum of one year of research experience as PhD students or equivalent.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Applications for EMBO | EuropaBio Fellowships are electronic only. Hard copies will not be processed. This refers to all relevant documents including not only the application form but also the reference letters and the host institute acceptance form. The online application form will ask you to provide information on:
- Contact details of two referees
- Address of the receiving institute and contact details of the host institute supervisor
- A summary of the proposed work
- A summary of your current work
- Basic CV
- Your ORCID ID (if you do not have one, please register at https://orcid.org/register)
- Funding sources
Application Deadline: Applications are accepted from September 1, 2017, until October 31, 2017.