Frank Parkinson Scholarship for British Students at University of Leeds
Frank Parkinson Scholarship
Closing Date: 1 June 2009
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
The Frank Parkinson Scholarship was established in 1936. The fund was bequeathed by Mr Frank Parkinson who was a former student and Baines Scholar of the University of Leeds. In announcing his gift, he stated, “I have long cherished the ambition to do something to ensure that the kind of assistance which was extended to me as a student should be available to a larger number of Yorkshire students, especially those who might otherwise be unable to contemplate a University career, or who, in spite of proved ability, might be unable to carry on postgraduate research work through lack of means.”
* Beneficiaries under the Fund must be born of British parents who have been domiciled in Yorkshire for a period of not less than ten years. The years of domicile need not be successive, but must amount to ten in the aggregate. All candidates will be required to supply proof of eligibility in respect of British nationality and the Yorkshire domicile of parents;
* Applicants must hold at least a UK Upper Second Class Honours Degree or equivalent;
* These awards are not open to individuals who have already been awarded a Doctoral degree.
These include the following (full information on the regulations will be sent to all successful candidates):
* One scholarship will be available from October 2009 and must be taken up on that date.
* The award will be made to a suitably qualified candidate wishing to undertake full-time research in any Faculty of the University over a period of three years leading to the degree of PhD. Candidates should either have graduated with a relevant first degree or Master’s degree or be in their final year of study.
* This scholarship is only open to new PhD research students who are commencing their first year of study in October 2009. If you are already registered as a PhD student you are not eligible for this award.
* The award will cover academic fees at the UK rate and a maintenance grant of £8,000 per annum. There are no additional allowances for travel or research costs.
* The award will be made for one year in the first instance, renewable for a further period of up to two years subject to satisfactory progress.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
* Candidates must complete all sections of the application form, using the space provided on the form and with strict observation of any word limits. Attachments are not permitted and all will be disregarded.
* The completed form should be returned to the Postgraduate Scholarships Office, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT by no later than Monday 1 June 2009.
* If you have not already done so, you should complete and return an ‘Application for Research Degree Study’ form as soon as possible. This form should be returned with full transcripts of degree marks to Research Student Administration, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT. Scholarship applications from candidates who have not received a formal offer of a place at the University will not be considered. Application Forms are available at http://www.leeds.ac.uk/students/appfmweb.doc or apply online at http://www.leeds.ac.uk/students/apply_research.htm
APPLICATION PROCEDURE & RESULT
Applications are logged by the Postgraduate Scholarships Office and passed on to the relevant Schools for initial consideration. Each School selects a shortlist of candidates who they wish to recommend for the award. The Group on Scholarships, Studentships and Prizes then meets to consider the shortlists and select the successful candidate. Candidates can expect to be notified of the outcome of their application by the beginning of August 2009. The University will publish the names of the successful candidates within the University and externally upon the University website.
Important: Scholarship-Positions.com is not responsible for the content of any external websites linked to or referenced on this site.
- Africa Scholarships
- Australia Scholarships
- Austria Scholarships
- Belgium Scholarships
- Canada Scholarships
- China Scholarships
- Denmark Scholarships
- France Scholarships
- Germany Scholarships
- Germany Postdoctoral
- India Scholarships
- Iran Scholarships
- Italy Scholarships
- Japan Scholarships
- New Zealand
Take a leap in to successful career by taking free online courses from world's top colleges and universities.