The Frederick Douglass Doctoral Scholars fellowship program is now available to new PhD students who are also new to the Graduate School. Candidates must be first time applicants to the Graduate School at Howard University in all disciplines.
It is designed to recruit academically talented students with an interest in college or university teaching.
Established in 1867, Howard University is a federally chartered, private, doctoral university, classified as a high research activity institution. With an enrollment of more than 10,000 students, its undergraduate, graduate, professional and joint degree programs span more than 120 areas of study within 13 schools and colleges.
- Application Deadline: January 19, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue doctoral programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in African Studies, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Communication, Culture and Media Studies, History, International Studies, Political Science, Psychoeducational Studies, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology and Criminology, Women’s Studies, World Languages and Culture.
- Scholarship Award: Full remission of tuition (not including student activity fees) and a stipend of $20,000 for the fall and spring semesters for each year of eligibility. Successful applicants will be offered the award from year-to-year as long as all requirements are satisfied. This award will not exceed three years. The recipient may hold a baccalaureate or a Master’s degree.
- Nationality: US citizens
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Students from the USA are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: Candidates must be first-time applicants to the Graduate School at Howard University in all disciplines. Howard University Graduate School admissions applications to PhD programs for the fall 2017 semester must be submitted prior to the Frederick Douglass deadline. The minimum cumulative GPA requirement from the applicant’s current or most recently attended institution is 3.5.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a total of six (6) completed packages: One (1) original complete package and five (5) copies of the completed package:
- 1 Completed Original Frederick Douglass Application Form (PDF) and 5 copies
- 1 Official, seal transcript from current or most recently attended institution and 5 copies
- 1 Five-page scholarly academic or research writing sample and 5 copies
- 1 Statement addressing how the professoriate fits into the candidate’s career goals and 5 copies
3 letters of recommendation:
- 1 from the perspective, academic chair at Howard and 5 copies
- 2 from faculty members at the current or most recently attended institution and 5 copies