Applications are now being accepted for masters and doctoral scholarships at Central European University in Hungary. Graduate students and faculty from around the world come together in Budapest to engage in interdisciplinary education, pursue advanced scholarship, and address some of the society’s most vexing problems.
Central European University is a graduate-level “crossroads” university where faculty and students from more than 100 countries come to engage in interdisciplinary education, pursue advanced scholarship, and address some of the society’s most vexing problems.
Candidates must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting standardized English language test scores. Candidates whose first language is English are normally exempt from this requirement.
- Applications deadline: February 1, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue graduate programme (Master and Doctoral) programme.
- Study Subject: Academic areas and programs include the following:
- cognitive science
- economics and business
- environmental sciences and policy
- gender studies
- international relations
- legal studies
- mathematics and its applications
- medieval studies
- nationalism studies
- network science
- political science
- public policy
- sociology and social anthropology
Scholarship Award: Master’s Scholarship
The CEU Master’s Scholarship covers up to 100% of tuition, health insurance and a monthly stipend of HUF 96,000 (approx. EUR 310) or HUF 50,000 (approx. EUR 160) to assist with living costs. Single or shared housing in the CEU Residence Center may also be offered to scholarship recipients.
|Tuition Waiver||Stipend||Housing||Health Insurance|
|CEU Master’s Scholarship||Yes||Yes||Yes/No||Yes|
CEU offers a competitive financial aid package to students in doctoral programs. Applicants to a CEU doctoral program are automatically considered for a CEU Doctoral Scholarship.
The CEU Doctoral Scholarship covers the full cost of tuition and health insurance and includes a monthly stipend of HUF 242,000 (approx. EUR 780) that covers housing and living costs.
- Nationality: Applicants from any country are eligible to apply.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in Hungary
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Applicants from any country are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: The admissions requirements below are part of CEU’s Admissions Policy. Individual units may establish additional criteria for admission, such as specific academic backgrounds or minimum language test scores higher than the general CEU minimum requirements.
Eligibility Requirements for Master’s Programs
- Applicants must have a first degree from a recognized university or institution of higher education, or provide documentation indicating that they will earn such a first degree before enrolment in a CEU master’s program.
- For its one-year U.S.-accredited master’s programs, CEU normally accepts students who have completed four years of undergraduate university study. Applicants with a three-year bachelor’s degree will be considered for two-year master’s programs (both for those accredited in the U.S. and in Hungary).
- Admission into the U.S.-accredited one-year programs with a three-year bachelor’s degree may be possible pending the University Provost’s approval in particular cases, based on the recommendation of the academic unit in question.
- Students enrolled in a master’s program at CEU must not be simultaneously enrolled in another higher education institution, unless they provide official documentation about having obtained a leave of absence from the other institution for the entire duration of their studies at CEU. Admitted students are required, if applicable, to indicate enrolment at another institution in the matriculation form at the beginning of their studies at CEU.
Eligibility Requirements for Doctoral Programs
- Applicants must have a master’s degree (or equivalent) in a related field from a recognized university or institution of higher education, or provide documentation indicating that they will earn such a degree before enrollment in a CEU doctoral course of study.
- In exceptional cases, the Department of Cognitive Science will also consider candidates who only hold a bachelor’s degree, provided it is in a discipline closely associated with cognitive science.
- The Department of Mathematics also accepts excellent candidates with a bachelor’s degree only, if they have completed at least four years of university by the time of enrolling, and have a strong mathematical background.
- Students enrolled in a doctoral program at CEU must not be simultaneously enrolled in other institutions of higher education, and are required, at the beginning of their studies at CEU, to sign a declaration to this effect.
English Language Requirements: The language of instruction for all master’s, doctoral and non-degree programs offered by Central European University is English. Candidates must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting standardized English language test scores. Candidates whose first language is English are normally exempt from this requirement.
This section provides step-by-step guidelines to those who wish to submit an application to any of CEU’s master’s or doctoral programs for full-time study programs, as well as to those who wish to attend CEU as non-degree students for a limited period of time.
How to Apply:
Below is the list of the documents you need to prepare or arrange for submission:
- Completed CEU Application Form
- Letters of Recommendation
- Academic Records
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Program-Specific Requirements
- Proof of English Proficiency