The new Start Scholarships are now available for Doctoral Studies in the Department of Social Sciences at the University of Basel. The scholarship grants will be paid to the scholarship holders in two instalments of CHF 15,000 each in April 2018 and October 2018.
The purpose of the scholarships is to support students during the starting phase of their doctorate.
On January 1, 2013, the Graduate School Social Sciences (G3S) was founded. It represents a roof structure for doctoral studies in the field of social sciences. The G3S unites already existing in the departments existing events for doctoral students and PostDocs and supplements them. All subjects and graduate programs of the Department of Social Sciences are involved in the G3S. The doctorate is awarded at the Faculty of Philosophy and History of the University of Basel.
Applications close: November 15, 2017
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue doctoral programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to the Department of Social Sciences at the University of Basel.
Scholarship Award: As of April 1, 2018, the G3S is writing a total of three start-up scholarships (CHF 30,000/12 months).
Number of Scholarships: Three scholarships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in the Switzerland
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Doctoral candidates in the G3S should either have a disciplinary background in one of the social sciences of the department (eg ethnology, cultural anthropology, Middle East studies, political science, sociology, see: g3s.unibas.ch ), or be trained in interdisciplinary fields and areas that are considered as Subprograms are also represented in the G3S:
- Research Training Group Gender Studies
- Center for African Studies: zasb.unibas.ch
- MUBIT: Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
- Doctoral Program Religious Studies
- International Graduate School North-South
- Sustainability research: nachhaltigkeit.philhist.unibas.ch
- Doctoral Programs Cultural Anthropology
International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement:
Entrance Requirements: Prerequisite for the application is a master’s degree in one of the G3S areas.
English Language Requirements: The teaching languages of the Graduate School are English and German.
As of April 1, 2018, the G3S is writing a total of three start-up scholarships (CHF 30,000 / 12 months). The scholarship grants will be paid to the scholarship holders in two instalments of CHF 15,000 each in April 2018 and October 2018, the latter in the case of a positive evaluation after the first six months.
How to Apply:
Applications in English or German must be sent by post or in electronic form.
The following documents must be enclosed:
- Letter of motivation and CV (with publication list, if available)
- Sketch of the PhD project (about 5 pages)
- 1-2 text samples (at least one from an academic qualification thesis)
- Proof of academic qualifications and other achievements (please name the final grade and date of the MA degree explicitly).