Applications are invited for The German Egyptian Research Short term Scholarship GERSS for young Egyptian scientists in Germany.
The scholarship shall enable advanced graduate students and young scientists to pursue part of their master’s, doctoral or post-doctoral research in a specific research project at German universities, archives, libraries or research institutes.
The German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD (German: Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) is the largest German support organization in the field of international academic co-operation.
- Application deadline: May 15, 2018
- Course Level: The scholarship shall enable advanced graduate students and young scientists to pursue part of their master’s, doctoral or post-doctoral research.
- Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in a specific research project at German universities, archives, libraries or research institutes.
- Scholarship Award: Travel allowance for scholarship holders:
- A lump sum will be paid for travel and an accident and liability insurance will be provided
Monthly scholarship payment according to academic status:
- Post-Doctoral scholarship holders will be granted an amount of Euro 2.145 (two thousand one hundred forty-five Euros) per month
- Doctoral and MSc scholarship holders will be granted an amount of Euro 1069 (one thousand and sixty-nine Euros) per month
- GERSS scholarship does not include family allowances
- The amounts for the DAAD health insurance will be deducted from the monthly stipend of each scholarship holder
- One additional insurance instalment will be added and will begin 15 days prior to the arrival to Germany and end 15 days after the scheduled departure date to Egypt.
- Nationality: Young Egyptian scientists
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Scholarship is awarded to young Egyptian scientists.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be enrolled at a private or state university or research institute in Egypt.
- Applicants for a GERSS scholarship must have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree.
- Age Limits
– Graduates: should not be older than 26 years
– Medicine / Dentistry Graduates: should not be older than 29 years
– PhD candidates: should not exceed 36 years
– Postdoc candidates should not be older than 40 years
- Generally, candidates residing outside Egypt for a period longer than 6 months are not allowed to apply for GERSS
- Candidates who have been granted the GERLS scholarship may apply for GERSS – at least – one year after returning from Germany
- Applicants who have been rejected 3 times in the GERSS programme are not entitled to reapply
- Candidates from non-public universities will be limited in number according to the internal regulations between MHESR and DAAD
- Applicants submitting dual applications in MHESR or DAAD programmes are kindly requested to inform the DAAD Cairo Office in writing
- Candidates who received a DAAD/MHESR funded scholarship at a certain academic stage are not allowed to apply for GERSS unless they change their academic status
- Academic studies in musicology are offered within the GERSS scholarship; however, instrumentalists can apply for the programme “Study Scholarship for Foreign Graduates in the field of Performing Artists”. For more information, please refer to the scholarship database
- Candidates from the field of medicine/dentistry can only apply for GERSS, if they intend to visit Germany for research purposes with no direct contact with patients
- Applicants employed at the public universities or research institutes should fulfill the eligibility criteria of the mission Department
All applicants must submit proof of English language skills/abilities. The proof should be either IELTS (band 6.5) certificate or institutional TOEFL ITP (minimum score 550) or international TOEFL IBT (minimum score 80). Research projects submitted in the German language in the fields of German studies, Islamic studies in German are exempted.
Please note: Post-doctoral candidates who can submit a proof that they have conducted their Ph.D. degree in English language in the context of an international program could be exempted.
How to Apply: A complete application consists of the following documents (13 items) that must be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- The online application form which is available on the DAAD Portal
(When you enter your desired travel date in the online application, please make sure that your first travel day either starts on the 1st day of the month or on the 15th day of the months)
- A research proposal including the reference list. Please refer to the document “Research Proposal”, which contains questions to be answered concerning your proposal and insert the reference list on the last page
- A detailed CV
- Complete list of publications, if available
- Acceptance letter or an email from a German host professor showing that the research project under preparation is feasible and can be conducted in Germany under his supervision. The acceptance letter should state the title, the time frame and the objectives of the project. The acceptance letter should not be older than six months
- Copies of the B.A. or B.Sc. certificate and the M.A. or M.Sc. and Ph.D. certificate, if applicable
- All applicants have to submit proof of English language skills/abilities. The proof should be either IELTS (band 6) certificate or institutional TOEFL ITP (minimum score 550) or international TOEFL IBT (minimum score 80). Sufficient proof of English skills is an eligibility criterion. Research projects submitted in the German language in the fields of German studies, Islamic studies in German are exempted
- Endorsement letter from the applicant’s home institution. The endorsement letter has to be stamped and signed by the Head of the Institution, Dean of the Faculty or President of the University (Please use the template which is available here, print it and fill it out.)
- A detailed official statement of employment issued by the applicant’s institution/university. The statement should indicate that the applicant is affiliated to this institution/university at the time of application under the current position and should reflect a complete history of employment
Please note: The endorsement letter as well as the statement of employment must be issued from the same home institution and should not be older than 6 months.
- The form “General Required Information”
Please note: For technical reasons, please convert this file to a normal Pdf document/scan it to be able to upload it to the DAAD portal. Meanwhile, we are kindly asking you to send the file in its original formatting to the GERSS account: gerss-at-daadcairo.org
- Proof of pre-master, masters or Ph.D. registration. (not applicable for Ph.D. holders)
- A copy of your passport
- Declaration of consent confirming the applicant’s awareness that the submitted research project will undergo a plagiarism check of pre- and final selection phase with the help of software-defined by DAAD Cairo office as well as the full commitment to the language course and intercultural training as a part of the scholarship awarded. The declaration template is available here.