The Department of Geography and the United Nations University in Bonn are jointly offering International Joint MSc scholarships for the students of developing countries.
The main purpose of the two-year Master of Science programme is to provide postgraduate students with detailed knowledge, critical understanding, strategies and the tools required to take an interdisciplinary approach towards environmental risks and human security.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue MSc programme.
Study Subject: Fields of study include:
- Geographical approaches to risk, vulnerability and resilience
- New approaches to development geography
- Earth system science.
- Qualitative & Quantitative Methods, as well as GIS & Remote Sensing
- Social-ecological systems, Risk & Technology.
- Risk management and governance, forecast & prediction.
- Disaster management, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and humanitarian response.
Scholarship Award: From 2017 onwards, the Joint Master’s Programme is part of a selected group of international postgraduate programmes that benefits from the EPOS funding scheme offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Hence, we will be able to offer a certain number of fully funded scholarships to students from “developing countries” for the student intake in 2017.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
a) Applicants must possess a first, higher education qualification (Bachelor’s Degree) in Geography or a related / comparable professionally certified study programme. Out of all higher education qualifications earned (Bachelor’s, Master’s, additional academic coursework, etc.) applicants must have accumulated at least 100 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) within courses related to the three following areas:
- Human Geography and Social Sciences with a focus on spatial patterns, society, development;
- Science methodology and empirical research methods;
- Physical Geography, Geosciences and Environmental Sciences with a focus on Earth System Science.
b) A strong motivation to contribute to the area of Human Security and management of risks related to Environmental Change is a pre-requisite to study in this Master’s Programme. Applicants should be highly motivated to learn in a multicultural and interdisciplinary environment.
c) A minimum of 2 years of related professional experience is required for candidates from developing countries who additionally wish to be considered for a scholarship under the Development-Related Postgraduate programmes (Epos) of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
d) Non-native English speaking applicants must prove sufficient proficiency in the English language.
Eligible candidates should fulfill the following requirements in addition to the general eligibility criteria for the Master’s programme:
- Being a candidate from a “Developing Country” (according to the classification of the DAAD)
- Having at least two years of practical work experience (e.g. with an NGO, GO, or the private sector) in a field related to the study programme
- Having graduated from the Bachelor no longer than five years ago
- Having completed no other Master in a similar field of studies
- Aiming at a career as a practitioner in a field related to the programme of study
Nationality: Students from Developing countries (Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must possess a first, higher education qualification (Bachelor’s Degree) in Geography or a related / comparable professionally certified study programme.
English language Requirements: A minimum of 2 years of related professional experience is required for candidates from developing countries who additionally wish to be considered for a scholarship under the Development-Related Postgraduate programmes (Epos) of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
Non-native English speaking applicants must prove sufficient proficiency in the English language.
How to Apply: A completed application packet consists of the following documents:
a) Completed and signed application form(REQUIRED)
b) A signed Résumé/CV (REQUIRED)
- A current résumé including a chronological listing of employment and other significant activities must be submitted with any application.
c) Official transcripts (REQUIRED)
- Applicants must submit an official transcript from each college or university in which they were enrolled for any period of time, showing all courses, grades and degrees received
- Only transcripts that have been certified by the university where the degree was awarded will be accepted
- In cases where the transcript is written in any other language than English, a certified translation of the transcript into English or German is also required
- Translated versions can be certified either by the originating university or an official national or international institution
d) Letter of motivation (REQUIRED)
- A written statement, one to two pages in length, describing their motivation, area of proposed research, background, past work in the intended field of study, plans for further postgraduate study and any other information they feel is relevant. Applicants who are currently registered in a postgraduate programme at another university should explain why they wish to change programmes.
e) For non-native English speakers or applicants where English is not the official language, an English language proficiency certificate. (REQUIRED).
f) Copy of Bachelor Thesis or academic essay written as part of the fulfillment of the first degree (preferably in English). (REQUIRED).
g) If the candidate wishes to be considered for the Epos funding by the DAAD the candidate should add theDAAD application form, a motivation letter with reference to the current occupation, professional letters of recommendation from your employer (with recent date, stamped and signed), academic letters of recommendation from your university (with recent dates, stamped and signed), as well as a confirmation of employment from the employer in your home country and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon your return home.
h) Other relevant documents to support your application (OPTIONAL):
- Further certificates on professional experience and expertise (recommended for Epos applicants)
- Additional Certified Transcripts in cases where additional academic credits were earned outside of Degrees awarded
- Letters of recommendation
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is January 15, 2017.