Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education–Economics Institute (CERGE-EI) is offering PhD Scholarships in economics for September 2016. Scholarships are open for both Czech Republic and international students. All students are awarded full tuition waiver for the entire duration of their PhD program. Strong background in mathematics is an advantage. Individual who should have strong background in mathematics is an advantage. The application deadline is April 30, 2016.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are provided in the field of Economics at Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education – Economics Institute (CERGE-EI).
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD degree level at Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education – Economics Institute (CERGE-EI).
Scholarship Provider: Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education – Economics Institute (CERGE-EI)
Scholarship can be taken at: Czech Republic
Eligibility: General information
– Any individual from any country is welcome to submit an application.
– There is no application fee.
– CERGE-EI does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, gender, or religion.
– Strong background in mathematics is an advantage.
– Sufficient proficiency in English to read, write and fully understand study material is necessary.
– Previous education in economics is welcomed, but not required. Many successful students have backgrounds in math, law, political science or other disciplines.
-Educational requirements: A Master’s degree or equivalent that can be notified (recognized) in the Czech Republic (or expectation to complete a Master’s degree by June of the year for which you are applying) is the best credential for admission. Strong students with a Bachelor’s Degree may also apply directly to the PhD program. However, their financial support is determined on an individual basis. Masters degree holders are usually given full financial support. Alternatively, students whose highest credential is a Bachelor’s degree may apply for our Visiting Master’s in Economics scheme.”
Scholarship Open for International Students: Czech Republic and international students can apply for these scholarships.
Scholarship Description: Applications for PhD in Economics program for September 2016 are now open. The application deadline is 30 April of each year. There is no application fee.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s): Scholarships are available for entire duration of the programme.
What does it covers? A stipend is paid from the first to the fourth year of study. Fifth-year students may receive funding in the form of a salary (as they are usually employed as Junior Researchers at the Economics Institute or at CERGE-EI).
– The total support package is reviewed each year and is set at a level that enables students to afford a dormitory space, to eat in the student cafeterias, and to cover reasonable incidental expenses in Prague.
– The package is neither intended nor sufficient for a student to support a family while studying at CERGE-EI.
– The level of the performance stipend rises over time (the exact amount depends on academic performance and other study requirements, such as fulfilling assistantship duties).
– The stipend is paid monthly in Czech crowns (CZK).
-In addition to the standard amount, most students in the fourth year receive an Advanced Student Fellowship, such as a Teaching Fellowship (2,400 USD per course taught).
1st Year: Standard amount approximately 7,100 USD per year
This amount may increase up to 7,700 USD per year if the student shows outstanding performance or be lowered to the minimum amount of 5,000 USD per year if the student does not fulfill academic requirements.
2nd Year and 3rd Year: Standard amount approximately 7,700 USD per year
This amount may increase up to 8,300 USD per year if the student shows outstanding performance or be lowered to the minimum amount of 5,000 USD per year if the student does not fulfill academic requirements.
4th Year: Standard amount 6,000 – 7,700 USD per year
This amount may increase up to 11,000 USD per year on the basis of outstanding performance or be lowered to the minimum amount of 3,500 – 5,300 USD per year if the student does not fulfill academic requirements.
Selection criteria: Not Known
Notification: Not Known
How to Apply: The deadline for all the documents to be either uploaded through the Online Application Form or delivered in hard copy to CERGE-EI is April 30. However, University strongly recommends submission of application materials as early as possible to smooth the application process. The following materials are required for an application to be processed. All materials must be submitted in English or accompanied by an English translation and must be received by CERGE-EI on or before the deadline date.
-Statement of motivation
-Verified copies of your Bachelor and Master diplomas and transcripts
-Two letters of recommendation
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is April 30, 2017.