Maastricht University (UM) is accepting applications for Holland High Potential Scholarships. These scholarships are intended for excellent students from outside the European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA) who wish to do a master’s or a professional education programme at Maastricht University.
The Holland Scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science in conjunction with Dutch universities and universities of applied sciences.
Maastricht University (UM) is the most international university in the Netherlands and, with more than 16,000 students and 4,000 employees, is still growing. The university stands out for its innovative education model, international character and multidisciplinary approach to research and education.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing full-time master’s programme at Maastricht University.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to study the subjects offered by the university.
Number of Scholarships; 24 full scholarships are available.
Scholarship Award: 24 full scholarships of €29.000 (including tuition fee waiver and monthly stipend) each academic year for highly talented students from outside the European Union (EU) who have been admitted to a Master’s programme at UM.
|Living expenses||€ 12,350 (13 months) or € 23,750 (25 months)||Paid to students by the Scholarship Office|
|Health & liability insurance||€ 710||Arranged for and paid by the Scholarship Office|
|Visa application costs||€ 317 (subject to change in 2018)||Arranged for and paid by the Scholarship Office|
|Tuition fees||€ 13,000, € 15,000 or € 17,500 depending on the tuition of your study programme||Arranged for and paid by the Scholarship Office|
|Pre-Academic Training costs||€ 825||Arranged for and paid by the Scholarship Office|
Scholarship can be taken in Netherlands
Eligibility: All candidates must meet the following requirements:
- You hold nationality in a country outside the EU/EEA and meet the requirements for obtaining an entry visa and residence permit for the Netherlands.
- You have applied for admission to a full-time Master’s programme at Maastricht University which is participating in this scholarship programm
Participating Master’s programmes in this scholarship programme
- You meet the specific admission requirements of the UM Master’s programme to which you have applied.
- You have never participated in a degree-seeking higher education programme, a primary education programme, or secondary education programme in the Netherlands. Students who completed exchange programmes in the Netherlands are welcome to apply.
- You are not over 35 years of age on 1 September 2018.
- You have obtained excellent results during your prior education programmes, as demonstrated by your latest grade transcript or certified by academic excellence. If several applicants are equally qualified, we will give preference to applicants whose academic transcript or certified letter of academic excellence demonstrate that they are among the top 5% of the 2018/19 scholarship programme applicants.
Nationality: Students from outside the EU/EEA can apply for the scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Students are eligible for admission to UCM if they have a Dutch VWO diploma or an international equivalent thereof.
English Language Requirement: English is the working language in this programme. You must, therefore, demonstrate your proficiency in English. No additional proof of English proficiency is required if you are a native English speaker or if you have obtained or will obtain:
- An International or European Baccalaureate
- A high school diploma in the USA
- GCE A-levels
- A VWO diploma with a minimum overall grade of 7 in English
- Zeugnis der Allgemeine Hochschulreife with a minimum overall grade of 8 in English
If students do not meet one of these criteria, they have to provide proof of English proficiency with an IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge test. They have to prepare and register for these tests yourselves.
How to Apply:
Step 1: Register for one of the participating Master’s programmes at Maastricht University. For further details on how to register for an Master’s programme at UM, please see your prospective programme’s webpage. Once you have submitted your application via Studielink, you will receive a student ID number. You will need a student number in order to complete and submit the Scholarship Application Form (see Step 2 below).
Please note: only the study programmes in the list above are eligible for a UM Holland-High Potential Scholarship. You must be conditionally approved for admission to your study programme at UM in order to be awarded a Scholarship. If your study programme requires the payment of a handling fee as part of your programme’s admissions procedure, UM Scholarships do not cover handling fees. You are responsible for paying any handling fee your programme may require by 1 February 2018. To check whether your programme requires the payment of a handling fee, please check your programme’s webpage under the menu tab ‘Admission requirements.’
Step 2: Please fill in the application form through the Apply Now button, on the right side of this page, upload the following documents in .doc, .docx, or PDF format, and submit your application. Please note that you will only be able to submit your application once, so please ensure that all of your documents and referee contact details are up-to-date.
- Curriculum vitae. Your CV should be up-to-date, contain relevant information about your education and (job) experience, and should not be longer 2 A4 pages.
- Letter of motivation. Your letter of motivation should be up-to-date, tailored specifically to this Scholarship programme, and no longer than 1 A4 page. Be sure to argue why this scholarship is important to you, why you should be selected, and what your role as an ambassador of Maastricht University would be during your scholarship period, and during the upcoming years after you finish your studies at UM.
- Proof of academic excellence. You may upload one of the following documents in order to prove your academic excellence: 1. Your University transcript that explicitly states your grade point average or class ranking (i.e. first class honours) for your entire study programme; or, 2. A letter signed by your institution’s Head of Department or Registrar stating that you are one of the top 20 students in the graduating year of your study programme. Please ensure that the letter contains the contact details of your Head of Department or Registrar.
- The contact details of your referee. Please note that we will be in contact with your referee and ensure that you take the following steps when choosing a referee and submitting their details.
- Relationship to applicant: indicate your referee’s connection to you; is this your professor, thesis supervisor, employer? Please remember that family members may not function as referees.
- Telephone number of your referee: Make sure to add the applicable country calling code.
- Email address of your referee: Work email addresses are preferred.
Please note that you will only be able to submit your application once, so please ensure that all of your documents and referee contact details are up-to-date.
Step 3: Contact the referee you provided in your application form and ask them to submit their reference letter by email hhp.scholarship-at-maastrichtuniversity.nl by 1 February 2018. We have prepared Scholarship reference letter guidelines; please print these out or forward them to your referee, as they will help your referee to write a good reference letter on your behalf. Please note that referees must be (former) professors, lecturers, or employers, and not family members. Recommendation letters should be dated and written no earlier than February 2017. Please also note that it is your responsibility to liaise with your referee and ensure that they submit their letters by 1 February 2018 (Central European Time). Applications for which we have not received reference letters are unfortunately incomplete, so please communicate on time with your referee about this important step in the Scholarship application process.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is February 1, 2018.