Applications are invited for Jordanian Fulbright Visiting Scholar (Postdoctoral) Award opportunities for the 2018-2019 academic year. This program is designed for Jordanian scholars to pursue research.
The worldwide Fulbright Program is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries and strengthen the ties that unite the United States with other nations.
Only those currently holding a PhD or an equivalent professional degree are eligible to compete for this award. These competitions are announced in January of each year for the following academic year(s).
Course Level: This is a visiting scholar’s programme granted for a period of 4-9 months. These grants are awarded to Jordanian scholars to lecture or conduct post-doctoral research (or a combination of both) at U.S. academic institutions for a grant period of 4-9 months.
Study Subject: This program is designed for Jordanian scholars interested in pursuing a specific collaborative research project in the United States, for a period of stay ranging from a minimum of four (4) months to nine (9) months maximum.
Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Doctoral degree or equivalent professional training or experience at the time of application. For professionals and artists outside the academy, recognized professional standing and substantial professional accomplishment is expected.
- Proficiency in English appropriates to the proposed lecturing or research project to be carried out in the United States. Applicants may be required to take an English proficiency examination as needed.
- The applicant must be currently engaged in teaching or significant research at a Jordanian university or research institution. Note: In some cases, a TOEFL Score Report may be requested. The minimum requirement on the TOEFL Score is 90-91 on the new Internet Based Test (iBT). If requested, potential applicants will be asked to contact the AMIDEAST office (Tel. No. 592-9994, Extn. 135) immediately to register for the next TOEFL exam or contact AMIDEAST to sit for the Institutional TOEFL Program (ITP) and submit this score with your application.
- If the applicant has been nominated for this award, the candidate will need to secure an approved leave of absence from his/her institution. Generally, this requirement is worked out in favour of those on sabbatical leaves. However, grants are not limited to those on sabbatical.? Should the applicant be nominated for this grant, he/she or the nominating institution will be responsible for providing the round-trip international travel from Amman for the grantee and his/her dependents, if applicable. Note: Grantees are not allowed to take a paying job during the term of their award. The U.S. host institution provides access to its research facilities, equipment, office space, secretarial help, and other assistance. No financial support is expected of the host U.S. institution.
- Applicants must hold the Jordanian Citizenship (Nationality), a valid Jordanian Passport and must have a permanent residence status in Jordan at the time of application. Persons applying for or holding permanent residence in the United States are not eligible. Persons who are citizens of both Jordan and the United States are also not eligible. Note: Fulbright Scholars enter the United States on an Exchange Visitor (J-1) visa under a Department of State program and are subject to the two-year home-country residence requirement associated with the J-1 visa.
- Sound physical and mental health: Those selected for a Fulbright grant are required to submit a Medical History and Examination Report before their grants can be finalised.
- Applicants should be representative and responsible citizens who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture of their own countries and thereby contribute to understanding between the people of the United States and Jordan.
- They should also demonstrate the cross-cultural sensitivity and flexibility needed to adjust successfully to life in the United States.
- Any Jordanian scholar applying for this award opportunity, should not have been physically present in the United States on a
J visa on an exchange program for more than six months’ duration during the 12 month period before the application deadline on 30 April 2017.
- Preference may be given to those without recent experience in the United States.
- Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, gender and/or physical impairment.
Nationality: This program is designed for Jordanian scholars to pursue research.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a doctoral degree or equivalent professional training or experience at the time of application.
Test Requirements: In some cases, a TOEFL Score Report may be requested. The minimum requirement on the TOEFL Score is 90-91 on the new Internet Based Test (iBT). If requested, potential applicants will be asked to contact the AMIDEAST office (Tel. No. 592-9994, Extn. 135) immediately to register for the next TOEFL exam or contact AMIDEAST to sit for the Institutional TOEFL Program (ITP) and submit this score with your application.
English language Requirements: Proficiency in English appropriate to the proposed lecturing or research project to be carried out in the United States. Applicants may be required to take an English proficiency examination as needed.
How to Apply: At the time of application, you must submit the following:
- Application Form (4 pages)
- Detailed Statement of Proposed Activity (3-5 pages typed)
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Three References
- A List of Publications and Articles
- A Letter of Invitation from a U.S. academic institution, if you have one(This is not a requirement)
- Four (4) passport-size photos
- A Letter of Release should is included in the application.
Application Deadline: Application deadline is April 30, 2017.