The “la Caixa” Foundation is offering four fully funded fellowships to outstanding young graduate students from all over the world for PhD program at the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO). The programme offers a cross-disciplinary training in state-of-the-art basic and applied cancer research within an international scientific environment. Candidates should have an excellent academic track record, a solid knowledge of English and previous research experience. During the four years, the graduate students will receive an employment contract. Application should be submitted till February 28, 2014.
Study Subject (s): The “la Caixa”-Severo Ochoa International PhD Programme at the CNIO offers cross-disciplinary training in state-of-the-art basic and applied cancer research within an international scientific environment.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing PhD program at the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO).
Scholarship Provider: la Caixa” Foundation
Scholarship can be taken at: Spain
Eligibility: This call is open to applicants of all nationalities.
– Students holding a university degree (BSc, Diploma, Licenciatura, Laurea or equivalent) in biomedical sciences of a minimum of 300 ECTS or holding an official MSc or DEA or equivalent are eligible to apply to the Programme. Students expecting to be awarded with such qualification during the first half of 2014, are also eligible for this Call. This university degree would qualify students to start a PhD thesis in their home country. Non-European university degrees should be equivalent to a European diploma or degree.
– Students must have been awarded their degrees within two years of the relevant submission deadline.
– Applicants must have an excellent academic record and previous research experience during their undergraduate career.
– Candidates must have a solid working knowledge of English.
– Co-authorship of publications in MedLine-listed journals will be positively considered.
– Participation in international mobility programmes (including the CNIO Summer Training Programme) will be positively evaluated.
– Individuals may not have been working at the CNIO, at any time, for more than six months before being hired as part of the “la Caixa”/CNIO International PhD Programme. The earliest date to join the Programme is September 1st.
-The upper age limit for eligibility is 30 years.
Scholarship Open for International Students: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible for these fully funded fellowships.
Scholarship Description: During 2014, the Fundación “la Caixa” will provide support for four highly qualified graduate students, in order to carry out their experimental work towards obtaining a PhD degree at the Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO; Spanish National Cancer Research Centre) within an International PhD Programme.
In the context of this “la Caixa”-Severo Ochoa International PhD Programme at the CNIO, we are seeking exceptional and highly motivated PhD students who are interested in receiving ample cross-disciplinary training in state-of-the-art basic and
applied cancer research.
Number of award(s): Four fully funded fellowships will be available in 2014.
Duration of award(s): These fully funded fellowships are offered for four year.
What does it cover? Students who have won a place in our PhD programme will obtain full financial support, including tuition, for a period of 4 years regardless of nationality. During the four years, the graduate students will receive an employment contract. For the first year, the gross annual salary will be 18,546.56 EUR (depending on marital status, children, etc., this salary corresponds to a net income of approximately 1,240 EUR/month). The initial gross annual salary will be increased progressively to 4.08% the second annuity, 7.06% the third and 9.16% the fourth. In addition to the salary, the students will receive a onetime annual allowance of 1,500 EUR for the first and second years and 1,700 EUR for the third and fourth years. That allowance covers miscellaneous expenses, such as university fees, expenses derived from international congress attendance and/or stays in international research centres. This employment contract will be prepared in accordance to Spanish laws and regulations, and employees will be included in the general Spanish Social Security System. All students will receive full health and occupational accident insurance coverage. Graduate students will also be entitled to social benefits such as holidays, subsidised meals and aids for studying Spanish or English. Expenses associated with the interview: applicants invited to Madrid for interviews will be provided with a round-trip flight ticket and an overnight accommodation. All bookings will be directly handled by the CNIO.
Selection Criteria: Admission to the programme is on a competitive basis. All applications are evaluated solely on the basis of academic qualifications and scientific potential. Applications will be screened initially by the CNIO’s Education and Training Programmes to ensure that they are complete and eligible. All eligible applications will be reviewed by an ad hoc Selection Committee, formed by CNIO faculty members, which will evaluate candidates based on the following criteria:
– The candidate’s academic merit and potential for successful research while at the CNIO, as evidenced by their qualifications and grades, and previous research experience.
– The information given by the candidate on the application form and in particular the motivation letter.
– Recommendation letters.
Notification: All candidates must be selected by the end of July 2014. Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place during the second half of May, 2014. Applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s final decision by e-mail and the list of successful candidates will be published on the CNIO’s web site. Successful candidates are requested to inform CNIO whether they accept or decline the offer within 1 week after being notified.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is February 28, 2014.