China Scholarship Council (CSC) in cooperation with LMU Munich is delighted to offer the scholarship to outstanding Chinese students and researchers. The students must have the opportunity to conduct their doctoral research projects at LMU Munich.
Welcome to the Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich – the University in the heart of Munich. LMU is recognized as one of Europe’s premier academic and research institutions. Since our founding in 1472, LMU has attracted inspired scholars and talented students from all over the world, keeping the University at the nexus of ideas that challenge and change our complex world.
- Applications deadline: The application period begins in October and ends on February 15thof the following year.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue doctoral research programme.
- Study Subject: Doctoral studies for Chinese students are supported by two models:
- Model 1: Scholarships for a doctoral project pursued only at LMU Munich
Most of the doctoral studies at LMU Munich are conducted under the supervision of an individual professor and there is no compulsory curriculum. In addition to the individual doctoral supervision scheme, LMU offers a growing number of doctoral programs— there are currently 36 structured programs in a broad range of disciplines.
- Model 2: Scholarships for a “Sandwich” Doctoral Program
Within the “Sandwich” Model, the first year of the studies takes place at the home university. The doctoral students then complete one or two years of research at LMU and return to China to complete their doctoral program. The doctoral title is conferred by the Chinese university. This model is only possible in the individual supervision scheme.
- Scholarship Award: Full scholarship is available.
- Nationality: Chinese students
- Number of Scholarships: Within the framework of an exclusive agreement between LMU Munich and CSC more than 200 doctoral students of various disciplines from Biology to Sociology have been granted scholarships for doctoral studies since 2005.
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Chinese students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
1. General requirements
- Candidates must be citizens of the PR of China.
- Age limit: 35 years; for specific doctoral programs at LMU this age limit might vary.
- Candidates must have completed a research Master program before the commencement of the program. The Master qualification can be from a University in China or another country (i.e. Germany, US. etc.)
- Two letters of recommendation from university professors.
2. Academic background
Candidates must have an excellent academic background. To prove this, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- The candidates must pursue their master study at one of the top-level Chinese universities or research institutions. Universities of “985 project” are preferred.
- Candidates must have a bachelor and master degree with “80” or above in the Chinese grading system.
3. Language requirements
- If German is the language of tuition and of the dissertation, i.e. in Law, Communications Science, Political Science, Sociology, Philosophy, good German language skills are required. Candidates must provide proof of their German proficiency by means of an acknowledged language test such as: “Test-DAF” with the minimum result of “4” in all parts of the examination, or “DSH”, level 2.
- If English is the language of tuition and of the dissertation the following acknowledged language tests are accepted:
English language certificate of the IELTS Test Academic 6.5 (no module below 6) or 90 in the TOEFL iBT Test.
- Also for programs taught in English, basic knowledge of German is highly recommended.
4. Acceptance by a professor of LMU
Candidates must hold a written acceptance of a supervisor at LMU. The acceptance letter must refer to a specific structured doctoral program or, in the case of individual research projects, to a specific doctoral project. In the case of the “Sandwich-Model”, the Chinese supervisor must advocate the period of research at LMU.
How to Apply: The following two important steps are necessary to complete the application to the LMU–CSC program:
- Students must first apply to LMU. Successful students will receive an admission letter for doctoral studies at LMU Munich.
- The admission letter is the precondition for the next step — the application to CSC (see details at China Scholarship Council).
LMU synchronizes the application process for admission with the deadlines of CSC.
- For the application, students should submit the documents both as PDF and paper version. For final admission, only applications in paper form are accepted.
Application process: As the final application requires the consent of the future supervisor the first step is to contact potential supervisors. The first and most important step of the application is, therefore, matching your research interests and capacities with the many opportunities LMU offers.