The Mastercard Foundation is pleased to offer its fellowship for young African artists. The fellowship is available for both emerging and established young artists from diverse backgrounds.
The Fellowship aims to spur prosperity by promoting education and the inclusion of people in financial systems.
Mastercard Foundation is an independent global foundation which states it “advances youth learning and promotes financial inclusion to catalyze prosperity in developing countries.”Since its inception in 2006, it has collaborated with partners in developing countries, with a particular focus on Sub-Saharan Africa
Course Level: Fellowship is available for young visual artists.
Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in the field of print and digital publications.
Scholarship Award: Selected artists will receive a licensing fee of US$1,000 for the non-exclusive right to reproduce the chosen artworks in the Foundation’s publications, for non-commercial use.
Number of Scholarships: Number of fellowships is not given.
Scholarship can be taken in Africa
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- We encourage the submission of a wide range of visual art of different types suitable for reproduction.
- Our intention is to license selected works for reproduction as photographs in print and digital media. To be selected, the artwork must render well when photographed. The Foundation will arrange for chosen artwork to be professionally photographed if needed.
Nationality: African applicants are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must be young visual artists.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via email:
- We encourage submissions from both emerging and established young artists from diverse backgrounds. Artists wishing to participate should send their submissions no later than 15 November 2017.
- The submissions should include:
- The artist’s name, age, gender, country of origin, current home, the language of submission.
- A biography of not more than 500 words.
- Clear, accurate photographs of each work, submitted as presentation-quality jpeg files (minimum 1000 pixels x 1000 pixels).
- The creation date of each work submitted, along with dimensions and materials.
- One artist’s statement of not more than 500 words explaining the relation between the work(s) submitted and the submission question.
- Submission text supplied in any language in which the artist feels comfortable.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is November 15, 2017.