The Matsumae International Foundation is pleased to offer 20 MIF research fellowship program to international students of high academic ability for 2018 entry. Fellowships are awarded to undertake research at selected host institutions.
Matsumae International Foundation aims to assist international students who require financial assistance with scholarship, specifically for overseas students.
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a non-governmental organization. Many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic to the founder’s ideals and maintain contributions to the fund from their limited incomes.
Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree or be recognized by the Matsumae International Foundation as possessing equivalent academic qualifications. Overseas students who want to study in English or Japanese must prove their language proficiency if the language is not their native tongue. Applicants may also be asked to submit scores from an English proficiency test such as TOEFL, or to travel to Japan to appear in university entrance examinations.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to carry out research at selected host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry).
Study Subject(s): Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority.
Scholarship Award: The following financial support is provided to successful applicants. No support for his/her family or dependents is available. Fellowships are provided for successful applicants only and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items.
- Stipend for research and stay: ¥200,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.
- Insurance: Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, and (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air transportation: An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided. The provided air ticket cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash be provided by MIF for purchase of an air ticket by any individual or organization other than MIF
- Lump sum on arrival: ¥120,000 yen is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility: Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by the Matsumae International Foundation as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be under 49 years old at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
- Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present.
- Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by the foundation.
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
Nationality: Non-Japanese citizens can apply for these MIF fellowships.
College Admission Requirement:
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by the Matsumae International Foundation as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: A number of leading universities, especially private ones, offer a few courses in English but most are in Japanese and knowledge of the language is more of a requirement than an asset. Overseas students who want to study in English or Japanese must prove their language proficiency if the language is not their native tongue. Applicants may also be asked to submit scores from an English proficiency test such as TOEFL, or to travel to Japan to sit university entrance examinations.
How to Apply: Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from the Foundation. To obtain the announcement, write to MIF with name and address by postal mail, or by E-mail. Or, download the announcement from the web page of the Foundation and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file. The Foundation cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests. The application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan. MIF never receives applications by Fax or E-Mail. All of the following documents (#1~#8) – A4 in size – should be submitted on one occasion by the applicant to MIF. All documents must be typewritten in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted. Submitted applications which do not contain all of the required documents will be automatically rejected. MIF will not be responsible for costs incurred in submitting an application, and reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary. All documents received become the property of MIF, and will not be returned. MIF will not respond to individual inquiry concerning the status/arrival of application documents
- Application Form
- The Research Project
- Complete List of Publications
- A reprint of what the applicant considers being his/her the most important publication
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s employer and/or supervisor (e.g. Faculty Dean) testifying to academic ability and achievements, and confirming the availability of study leave covering the grant period.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s academic certificates (degrees of Ph.D., Master, Bachelor) issued by the university concerned.
- An invitation letter with signature by the scientist of host institution confirming
Application Deadline: Applications must be received by the Foundation until August 31, 2017.