Applicants are invited to apply for St Andrews–Max Planck PhD Studentship in Demography / Population Studies funded by the University of St Andrews and the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR). The PhD student will be working on fertility in high-income countries.
The aims of the project are to analyse fertility trends and patterns in a number of high income / European countries and to investigate social and contextual determinants of fertility, while potentially also making use of subnational spatial variation.
The Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) in Rostock is one of the leading demographic research centres in the world. At the MPIDR, researchers from all over the world investigate demographic change, ageing, fertility, biological demography and other issues at the forefront of population research.
Course Level: Studentship is available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: Studentship is awarded in Demography / Population Studies.
Scholarship Award: During the period in the UK, the St Andrews–Max Planck PhD studentship will cover:
- A maintenance grant of £14,553 per year (in the 2017/18 academic year, subject to increase annually according to the ESRC rules and regulations);
- A research training support grant (RTSG) of £750 per year; and
- Tuition fee to the amount of a standard fee for UK/EU students (£4,195 in the 2017/18 academic year).
During the period in Germany, the PhD student will receive: 1) A contract amounting to a gross salary of about €21,944 per year; and 2) Financial support for travel, research training, and data acquisition.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Students with an excellent master’s degree (first class or upper secondary in the UK) or the equivalent national qualification in any area of social sciences including statistics and applied mathematics.
Nationality: UK/EU students are eligible to apply for this studentship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have master’s degree (first class or upper secondary in the UK).
English language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Students must submit an application to Mrs Helen Olaez in the SGSD Postgraduate Office (ho10-at-st-andrews.ac.uk) by 5th of June 2017 for consideration. Please include ‘St Andrews–Max Planck PhD studentship’ in the subject line of your email. The full application consists of:
- A brief research proposal on fertility in one or several high-income countries (max two pages), which outlines the rationale and context for the proposed study, and data and methods to be used;
- An academic CV (max two pages) including details of two referees; and
- Copies of transcripts of undergraduate and master’s degrees.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is June 5, 2017.