Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT), New Zealand is now accepting Sri Lanka applications for its Commonwealth Postgraduate Scholarships 2017. These scholarships are open to Sri Lanka students for pursuing PhD or masters degree programme.
The aim of the scholarship is to provide opportunities to Sri Lankans to pursue advanced courses of study and to undertake research.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) is the public service department of New Zealand. The ministry represents New Zealand interests to other governments, including at the United Nations, APEC, TPPA and the WTO. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade acts in the world to make New Zealanders safer and more prosperous. MFAT is focused on delivering on the Government’s priorities.
Course Level: These Scholarships are available for pursuing the postgraduate degree.
Study Subject: These Scholarships are awarded in the following fields:
- Agriculture Development
- Renewable Energy
- Disaster Risk Management
- Public Sector Management
Scholarship Award: These scholarships will cover Tuition fees full tuition fees for the approved study programme, including enrollment, orientation, and Student Union fees, Travel between the home country and New Zealand at the start and end of the scholarship. Standard economy class travel from the closest departure point to a scholar’s home (whether that be an airport, bus terminal, train station or seaport) to the town or city in which the institution they are studying in is located, by the most direct and economical route. Establishment allowance $3000 in the first academic year, to meet textbook costs and to assist with other set up costs in New Zealand. At the beginning of each additional calendar year, $1000 will be paid to cover the full year. For students who have less than a calendar year remaining in their study, this amount will be prorated to the nearest three-month period Living allowance (stipend) $480 per week paid over the scholarship offer duration and any extension of the scholarship. Stipends are paid fortnightly in arrears. Medical and travel insurance to meet basic health care cover. Additional tutoring Up to $1,000 per academic year for tutoring only, if required. Home Located Research Travel one return airfare to their home country for the purpose of collecting data related to their research topic. The research paper must be no less than 60 points Postgraduate research allowance $1,000, for postgraduate students Postgraduate thesis allowance $850 for non-PhD postgraduate students $1500 for PhD students Reunion travel Scholars may be entitled to a reunion airfare to visit their home country Reintegration Allowance Scholars are entitled to $1000, or a part thereof, to meet the costs of departure and getting reestablished in the home country after completing their studies. Reimbursement of visa costs (Visa application fee, immigration levy and immigration medical check fee).
Numbers of Scholarships: Two scholarships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in New Zealand
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following area for these scholarships:
- Be a citizen of Sri Lanka.
- Not has citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand or Australia, or another developed country, except where their country does not issue passports and they hold a New Zealand passport.
- Not be married or engaged to be married to a person who holds, or who is eligible to hold, citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand, Australia or another developed country, except where their country does not issue passports and they hold a New Zealand passport (eg. The Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau).
- No dependents allowance is paid. Scholars who choose to have the immediate family members join them in New Zealand will be responsible for their financial support.
- Age should be less than 38 years as at 17.03.2017
- Should possess a Bachelor’s Degree with First or Second Class Upper Division in the relevant field of study from a recognise university and a relevant Master’s degree for PhD studies.
- Possess a high proficiency in English. To prove this it is required to send the IELTS or TOEFL results sheet with the form of application (test results must be not more than 24 months old at the time the application closing date).
- Be employed in the Public Sector, University, State Corporation or a Statutory Body(not currently serving in the military)
- All candidates applying for doctoral study must provide an evidence o support from a prospective supervisor at least from one of following Institutions at the time of application:
Nationality: Applicants of Sri Lanka can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have Bachelor’s Degree.
English Language Requirement: Applicants should possess a high proficiency in English. To prove this it is required to send the IELTS or TOEFL results sheet with the form of application (test results must be not more than 24 months old at the time the application closing date).
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via post.
- Every application should conform to the specimen form provided
- The words “New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships 2017” should be hand or type-written on top left corner of the envelope containing the application.
- Each Applicant should submit only one application for the single course of study and should state whether he/she has been nominated for a similar award in the past.
- No application from an employee of the government sector, University or a state Corporation will be entertained unless channelled through the Head of the Institution concerned. He/She should in forwarding the application appropriately complete the certificate in cage 17 of the application.
- No application will be entertained from a person who has entered into an agreement or bond to serve the Government of Sri Lanka, a State Sector Institute unless he/she shall have completed by 17.03.2017, the full period specified in such agreement or bond and shall have discharged fully all the other obligations under such agreement or bond.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is March 17, 2017.