New Zealand Government Scholarships for International Students 2011
New Zealand’s educational institutions are well regarded throughout the world. There is a great range of opportunities available to international students here: quality secondary school education, a well established network of English language schools, and internationally respected and recognised tertiary education providers.
New Zealand Government Scholarships:
The New Zealand Aid Programme supports sustainable development in developing countries in order to reduce poverty and contribute to a more secure, equitable and prosperous world.
The New Zealand Government offers the following scholarships to candidates of selected developing countries:
- New Zealand Development Scholarships (NZDS)
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- New Zealand ASEAN Scholars awards
- Short Term Training Awards (STTA)
- New Zealand Regional Development Scholarships (NZRDS).
New Zealand Development Scholarships (NZDS) provide the opportunity for individuals from targeted developing countries to undertake studies at tertiary education institutions in New Zealand. The purpose of the scholarships is for candidates to gain knowledge and skills in specific subject areas that will assist in the development of their home country by contributing to identified human resource development (HRD) training needs. Awardees are required to return to their home country for at least two years after the completion of their scholarship to apply these new skills and knowledge in government, civil society or private business organisations.
The New Zealand Development Scholarships scheme is funded by the New Zealand Government’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) programme. The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT), delivers the scheme through the New Zealand Aid Programme.
Check your eligibility for the Commonwealth Scholarships Scheme
General eligibility criteria
Applicants must meet the following New Zealand Development Scholarship eligibility criteria before their application will be considered against the selection criteria, including any region-specific criteria.
To be eligible to be considered for a New Zealand Development Scholarship, applicants must:
- be a citizen of a New Zealand Development Scholarship participating country ( permanent residents are not eligible to apply)
- be residing in their country of citizenship, preferably for at least two years prior to application
- not have citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand or Australia or another developed country*
- not be married or engaged to be married to a person who holds, or who is eligible to hold, citizenship or permanent residence of New Zealand, Australia or another developed country
- be aged 17 or over before the scholarship start date
- be applying to commence a new qualification and not be seeking funding for one already commenced in New Zealand or another country†
- not have completed, or nearly completed, a qualification at a similar level (i.e. applicants must apply for a higher level qualification than any previously attained), unless strong developmental relevance is demonstrated
- satisfy the admission requirements of the New Zealand education institution at which the qualification is to be undertaken, including English language criteria
- have been working in their home country, preferably for at least two years prior to application, including since completing their highest tertiary qualification gained to date
- be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to the public or private or community sector (as relevant) of their home country, and to their country’s development in general
- be able to take up the scholarship in the academic year for which it is offered.
Important: Scholarship-Positions.com is not responsible for the content of any external websites linked to or referenced on this site.
- Africa Scholarships
- Australia Scholarships
- Austria Scholarships
- Belgium Scholarships
- Canada Scholarships
- China Scholarships
- Denmark Scholarships
- France Scholarships
- Germany Scholarships
- Germany Postdoctoral
- India Scholarships
- Iran Scholarships
- Italy Scholarships
- Japan Scholarships
- New Zealand