Applicants are invited for Joint Research Fellowships funded by National Research Foundation (NRF) and the National Council for Science and Technology (CONACYT). These fellowships are open to Mexican and South African applicants.
The aim of the fellowships is to support the research by senior researchers, scientists, postdocs and short-term research placements of doctoral students between the two countries.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) is the intermediary agency between the policies and strategies of the Government of South Africa and South Africa’s research institutions.
Course Level: These fellowships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: These fellowships are awarded in the following fields:
- Advanced Manufacturing
Scholarship Award: These fellowships will cover the followings:
- South Africa: The total amount of funding requested from the NRF should not exceed R2.5mil. Funding will be made available for a maximum of three years, to be paid in annual installments (R830 000 per year) and exclusively for research activities commencing in 2018
- Mexico: Instructions for the Mexican applicants are available on the CONACYT website.
Numbers of Scholarships: Four fellowships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in South Africa and Mexico
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following area for the scholarship:
- South Africa: This call is open to employed researchers residing in South Africa and affiliated with a recognized higher education or research institution such as a university, university of technology or science council. The South African PI must be in possession of a PhD.
- Mexico: This call is open to Mexican researchers who will act as counterpart of South African researchers. Mexican researchers must comply with CONACYT’s eligibility criteria to act as Principal Investigators and counterpart to his/her South African peer.
Nationality: South African and Mexican applicants can apply for these fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be researchers.
English Language Requirement: Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English. CONACYT
How to Apply: Applicants can apply through online processor.
- Mexican and South African applicants shall write a joint application to be submitted to both CONACYT and the NRF. The joint application must be written in English.
South Africa: Applicants can apply by following the steps below:
- Register/Login using your ID/passport number and password.
- Go to “My Applications” and select “Create Application”.
- Select the call for which you are applying for: Mexico/ South Africa Joint Science and Technology Research Collaboration Call 2018.
- Complete all compulsory sections and the CV sections in full. Please attach the required documents in PDF format in the following order: CV of partner, budget of partner, a signed letter from the Partner Principal Investigator, work plan and a student exchange programme plan.
- Remember to submit your application on completion.
- Complete applications will go to the host institutions for verification before being forwarded to the NRF for further processing.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered (please refer to the above section called “Who may Apply” for details on eligibility).
- Please contact your research office or Designated Authority if you have any queries.
- Applications submitted outside the NRF Online Submission System will not be accepted. No hard copies will be accepted and will automatically be disqualified by the NRF.
- Only applications endorsed by the research office or its equivalent at higher education or research institutions will be accepted.
Mexico: Instructions for the Mexican applicants are available on the CONACYT website.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is July 28, 2017.