A PhD Fellowship is available in Advanced Electronic Materials and Devices at the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2). This PhD research project is focused on the chemical vapor deposition (CVD) of 2D materials, in particular of transition metal dichalcogenides.
ICN2 – Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology is a non-profit international research institute located close to Barcelona, Spain. Its research lines focus on the newly discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the fascinating behaviour of matter at the nanoscale.
Course Level: Fellowship is available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: This PhD research project is focused on the chemical vapor deposition (CVD) of 2D materials, in particular of transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Full-time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length: Predoctoral Contract.
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
Scholarship can be taken at Spain
Main Tasks and responsibilities
- The PhD candidate will be working on the preparation of high quality, large area MoS2 films using nonconventional metal-organic CVD processes.
- In order to understand the growth process of this 2D material and to assess the quality of the samples, the PhD will be involved in a detailed characterization of the films, including Raman, photoluminescence and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopies, as well as atomic force and electron microscopies. The effect of the substrate on the quality of the grown samples will be studied, for which transfer techniques will be developed.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Competences required:
Education: The candidate should have a BSc´s and Master’s degree in Physics, Material Science, Engineering or relevant studies.
Experience: Previous experience in chemical vapour deposition, characterization techniques, microscopy and spectroscopy will be appreciated.
Knowledge: A very good level of the English language is mandatory. A strong background on materials science, with knowledge in material deposition, especially in thin materials growth, will be valued.
Competencies required: Applicants must show great motivation, excellent attitude towards research and team work, and good communication skills
Nationality: Foreign and Spanish students can apply for these fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have master’s degree.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
How to Apply: All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 Reference letters or referee contacts.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is May 31, 2017.