Applications are invited for Ph.D. Scholarship applications for Kenya – DAAD Postgraduate Training Programme for the academic year 2018-2019. The programme will offer twenty-one (21) PhD vacancies to eligible academic personnel teaching in Kenyan universities (both public and private) for a duration of up to forty-five (45) months (exclusive six (6) months German language course) at a German university.
The general aim of the programme is to train young academics and scientists through funding of Ph.D. degree studies in Germany.
The German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD is the largest German support organization in the field of international academic co-operation.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: The Kenya Vision 2030 policy document recommends investment in Science, Technology & Innovation (ST&I) in priority key sectors. One such area involves capacity building in the universities through advanced training of personnel.
Scholarship Award: It offers:
- 6 months preparatory German language course (fulltime) including accommodation and pocket money
- co-financed monthly scholarship instalment
- Reimbursement of travel costs through an adequate travel lump sum that is disbursed after arrival in Germany, during the funding period respectively
- study and research allowance
- accident, health and personal liability insurance cover
- further individual allowances upon application
Number of Scholarships: The programme will offer twenty-one (21) Ph. D vacancies to eligible academic personnel teaching in Kenyan universities (both public and private) for a duration of up to forty-five (45) months (exclusive six (6) months German language course) at a German university.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: For eligibility to the Kenya DAAD PhD Scholarship, candidates must meet the following conditions:
- Be a citizen of the Republic of Kenya;
- Be teaching (full or part-time) in Kenyan universities (both public and private);
- Should have obtained the Master’s degree preferably within the past 6 years (date of graduation);
- Be willing to undertake a six (6) months German language course.
Nationality: Citizens of the Republic of Kenya are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants should have obtained the Master’s degree preferably within the past 6 years (date of graduation)
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The following documents must be prepared for the online application:
- Curriculum Vitae and list of publications (use the Europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae)
- Abstract of one page, research proposal (not more than 10 – 15 pages) including detailed timetable; academic degree certificates and transcripts, whereby the Bachelor’s degree must have been passed with at least second class upper division and a Masters degree with at least a B+ grade (or equivalent).
Invitation letter from a German supervisor OR admission letter to a structured PhD programme at a German university
- Two academic reference letters from university professors (forms provided in the online portal below)
- A no objection Letter from the university, indicating the prospective function of the applicant within the university after return to Kenya and a commitment by the University to the job security of the applicant till the period of return (those on who qualify will be required to produce the Bonding document).
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is October 31, 2017.