A PhD scholarship is available in the area of International Studies at Doctoral School of Social Sciences & Business.
The Roskilde University’s primary objective is to contribute to experimental, innovative forms of research, learning and problem-solving that contribute to society’s development.
The Roskilde University is a Danish public university founded in 1972 and located in Trekroner in the Eastern part of Roskilde.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Applications close: December 1, 2017
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded within the research area of International Studies.
Scholarship Award: The employment as a PhD fellow is three years cf. The PhD Order. Writing a PhD is a full-time study. Apart from working on your PhD thesis, it is expected that you take relevant university courses equivalent to 30 ECTS points and disseminate information through e.g. teaching classes at the university.Cf. the collective agreement for AC workers. (link in Danish). The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in Denmark
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: The assessment of the application will be done according to the following primary criteria:
- Does the proposal suggest the potential for original research?
- Is the research question clear and precise?
- Does the theoretical and methodological approach appear appropriate?
- Does the research project (including primary data collection and/or field research) appear feasible for a 3 year PhD?
- Does the applicant have sufficient qualifications? Including a relevant master degree and high grades.
- Does the applicant have sufficient language and/or methodological proficiency?
In case ISE must prioritize between competing applications, the following set of secondary criteria may be applied:
- Prior research experience (bearing in mind that the project must not duplicate the applicant’s prior research).
- Availability and commitment of appropriate supervisor within the Department.
- The fit of the research topic within the priority research areas in the Department.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
The application must include the following documents:
(1) A research proposal for the PhD Project (maximum length 5 pages plus reference list). The proposal should clearly indicate all of the following:
- Field of study
- Research problem
- Theoretical framework
- Review of the relevant literature
- Methodological approaches
- Analytical framework (general considerations regarding the empirical evidence to be analysed)
- Ethical considerations relevant to the project
- Time schedule indicating how the applicant plans to complete the research proposed within a three-year period
(2) A Curriculum Vitae (CV) (maximum length 5 pages) that summarizes the applicant’s academic experience.
(3) Documentation of previous education (a relevant Master’s degree and grade is essential; the written evaluation of the thesis may be included)
(4) Preferably a detailed letter of support from a full-time department faculty member (Associate Professor or Professor) who will act as the main supervisor if the project is successful. This letter should identify the strengths of the project, its potential limitations, how these limitations might be overcome, and how well the project fits into the research environment at the department. There is no minimum or maximum length for this document. Foreign students may send a recommendation letter from their home institution to the department-faculty member who will write their support letter for this application. Read more about the Department of Social Science and Business (ISE).
How to Apply:
To apply for the position: Go to Roskilde University’s website. Click the ‘Search Position’ button in the job posting.