The ICTP’s Earth System Physics section (ESP) is accepting applications for two postdoctoral positions in regional climate modelling. The ICTP offers internationally competitive remuneration, which will depend on the research experience of the candidate.
ICTP Research Scholarships aim to attract high-quality students to undertake research at ICTP.
For more than 50 years, the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world. Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam, ICTP seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world.
- Applications deadline: December 8, 2017
- Course Level: Positions are available to pursue postdoctoral programme.
- Study Subject: Positions are awarded in regional climate modelling. The tasks for the positions are as follows:
Position 1, under the framework of the EUCP Eu project:
- Contribute to the completion and analysis of RegCM4 simulations at convection-permitting resolutions envisioned under the EUCP project;
- Cooperate with the other members of the EUCP team in integrating the information obtained with the RegCM4 model towards the development of a European Climate Prediction system;
- Contribute to the testing and development of the non-hydrostatic configuration of the ICTP regional climate model RegCM4?.
Position 2, under the framework of the CORDEX international programme:
- Contribute to the completion and analysis of RegCM4 simulations over different CORDEX domains;
- Post-process the output of the CORDEX simulations in order to port it on the CORDEX ESGF nodes;
- Analyze the RegCM4 simulations within the context of multi-model projections with other CORDEX RCMs.
- Scholarship Award: The ICTP offers internationally competitive remuneration, which will depend on the research experience of the candidate.
- Nationality: International applicants are eligible to apply for these positions.
- Number of Scholarships: Two positions are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Trieste, Italy
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this position.
Entrance Requirements: Candidates should have a Ph.D. in atmospheric science, geophysical science or related fields. They should have proven experience in regional climate modeling, preferably with the ICTP regional climate model RegCM. Experience with convection permitting models is an added value for position 1.
English Language Requirements: Adequate proficiency in the English language is required.
How to Apply: Each application should include:
- a Curriculum Vitae
- a list of publications
- two reference letters (to be submitted directly by the referees)