Applications are invited for TWAS-CIIT Fellowship Programme to pursue postgraduate research. Fellowship is open to young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to obtain all or part (sandwich or full-time) of their Ph.D. in natural or social sciences.
The aim of the TWAS-COMSATS Institute of Information Technology Fellowship Programme is to enable and encourage academically able students from developing countries.
With the world’s largest South-South Ph.D. and post-doctoral research fellowship program, TWAS helps early-career researchers to gain education and experience at top global science institutions.
Applicants must hold an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences and provide evidence of proficiency in English if the medium of education was not English.
Course Level: Fellowship is awarded in the field of natural sciences (Structural, Cell, and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Chemical Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physics and Social and Economic Sciences).
Study Subject: Fellowship is available to obtain all or part (sandwich or full-time) of their Ph.D.
Scholarship Award: CIIT will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation, and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Scholarship can be taken in Pakistan
Eligibility: Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not be on site in Pakistan;
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- hold an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences;
- IF applying in a field of eligible social sciences, hold an MSc degree in a field of social sciences;
- be a maximum age of 35 years by 31 December in the year of application;
- for SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered PhD students in a developing country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME University (see sample in guidelines);
- for FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at a university in Pakistan;
- provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from CIIT (see sample Acceptance Letter on page 5). Requests for acceptance must be sent to Dr. Tariq-Ur-Rahman (by e-mail: tariqurrahman-at-comsats.edu.pk) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Dr. Tariq-Ur-Rahman, applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if the medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Nationality: Citizens of a developing country (other than Pakistan) can apply for this fellowship program.
List of Countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must hold an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply:
- The call for applications is open from April until 31 August of each year.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from CIIT when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, SIGNED and sent as attachments via e-mail to TWAS and CIIT. The subject line must contain CIIT/PG and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Applicants to the TWAS-CIIT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send a copy of their application (by email) to both TWAS and to CIIT.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is August 31, 2017.