New Zealand Government offers Prime Minister Scholarships for New Zealand students which are administered by Education New Zealand to study or research in Asia. Scholarships are awarded to individuals and covers costs relating to study or research in Asia.
The scholarship’s aim to strengthen New Zealand’s ability to engage with key Asian trading partners and increase international understanding of the strength and quality of New Zealand’s education system
The Prime Minister’s Scholarship for Asia (PMSA) is a new initiative by the government to provide support for New Zealand students to experience study in Asia.
All applicants must be at least 18 years old at the time of application and a New Zealand citizen or Permanent Residence holder of a minimum 2 years at the time of application.
- Application Deadline: March 30, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to undertake at least 6 weeks up to a maximum of 2 years study or research in Asia.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded for programmes that demonstrably linked to New Zealand’s trade or economic agenda in Asia.
- Scholarship Award: The two categories of the eligible programme each has their own funding policy.1. Exchange Programme-PMSA funding for exchange programmes is awarded based on the duration of the programme and the quality of the candidate and their application with regards to the goals of the PMSA. Successful exchange PMSA candidates will be awarded between $200 and $250 per week, for each week they are actively on the programme in Asia.2. Independent programmes (non-exchange)-PMSA candidates on non-exchange programmes may request funding for legitimate and reasonable expenses pertinent to the completion of the proposed programme.
- Approved expenses include, but are not necessarily limited to;
- Tuition/programme fees for your Asian institution
- Economy flights to and from your Asian destination
- Accommodation (while actively on programme)
- Living expenses (while actively on programme)
- Insurance (while actively on programme, including travel to and from Asia)
- Number of Scholarships: Not given
- Nationality: Students of New Zealand
- Scholarship can be taken in Approved destinations are ASEAN countries such as Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei Darussalam, as well as China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, India and Sri Lanka.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Students of New Zealand can apply for these Prime Minister scholarships.
- Entrance Requirements: All applicants must
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of application.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or Permanent Residence holder of a minimum 2 years at the time of application.
- Not hold citizenship in their destination country in Asia.
- Propose a programme that meets the requirements of the PMSA.
How to Apply: Applications are now open for the March 2018 round, please click here to apply.
To complete this application, you will need to upload the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of Citizenship for every country for which you hold citizenship and/or proof of Permanent Residency status
- Officially verified Academic Transcripts for up to three tertiary level qualifications (equivalent to level 5 and above). If you have not completed a tertiary qualification, you will need to upload documentation of your highest secondary qualification if it has been completed within the past three years.
- A 90 second video
You will also need to provide the names and emails of two referees to request references, one of which should be an academic reference.