Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures is awarding international fellowships to scholars from North America, Asia or Europe. One fellowship for a maximum period of one year and two or three short-term fellowships of three months to half a year each will be awarded. The annual Fellowship carries a value of £23,500.
The Sainsbury Institute was founded in 1999 through the generosity of Sir Robert and Lady Sainsbury to promote knowledge and understanding of Japanese arts and cultures.
- Application Deadline: February 28, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available for conducting research at the Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in any area of Japanese culture. Preference will be given to applications focusing on the history of art, cultural heritage, archaeology or architecture.
- Scholarship Award: The one-year Fellowship will commence in September 2018 and carries a value of £23,500. For the six-month Fellowship, please state the preferred start date in your application. This may be subject to negotiation. The six-month Fellowship carries a value of £12,000.
- Number of Scholarships: Not given
- Nationality: Citizens of North America and Asia
- Scholarship can be taken in UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Citizens of North America, Asia (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, North Korea, South Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Philippines, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen) or Europe (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom) can apply for the fellowships.
- Entrance Requirements: The Institute is offering Fellowship to scholars who have either received a PhD from a North American, Asian or European university, or who are currently employed by an academic institution or museum. Any area of Japanese culture is eligible, although preference will be given to applications focusing on the history of art, cultural heritage, archaeology or architecture.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
• Curriculum Vitae (please include the date your PhD is expected to be conferred, if not already conferred) and
• Sample of writing (for example a published article, or a core chapter of the PhD)All application documents must be in English.Receipt of applications by Sainsbury Institute will be acknowledged by email.In addition, two letters of reference should be sent by email or mail to arrive by the application deadline. If sent by mail, they should be signed and sealed and sent directly by the referee to the Sainsbury Institute, 64 The Close, Norwich, NR1 4DH, UK. If they are sent by email, they should be emailed directly by the referee to the Sainsbury Institute.