Applications are invited for Rotary Yoneyama Scholarships available for international students to undertake studies at a Japanese university or graduate school in Japan. International applicants can apply.
The Foundation awards scholarships to overseas students who aspire to study or conduct research in Japanese universities or graduate schools. Its scholarship fund is supported by the contributions of Rotarians throughout Japan.
The Foundation is Japan’s largest private scholarship organization, both in terms of program scale and number of scholarships awarded.
There are several conditions requiring Japanese language ability depend on the Rotary District where applicants’ targeted the university/graduate school is located. In either case, after arriving Japan, scholars are expected to make an effort to communicate in Japanese so as to better create and strengthen friendship ties with Japanese Rotarians.
- Application Deadline: December 15, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing undergraduate, master and PhD degree programs at Japanese University or Graduate School.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in all disciplines.
- Scholarship Award: For April enrollment: Scholarship payment begins in April 2019
For fall enrollment: Scholarship payment begins in October (or September) 2019
(1)Undergraduates 100,000 yen per month
(2)Master’s students 140,000 yen per month
(3)Doctoral students 140,000 yen per month
*Research students are not eligible.
- Supplemental for Airfare?
A single one-way-airfare-to-Japan is reimbursed at orientation, after arrival in Japan. Successful applicants must submit documentation showing the one-way-airfare-to-Japan. Only the economy class fee is covered.
*This scholarship is not full-covered, so tuition and enroll fee can NOT be paid by us.
*The application guideline is judged based on the one written in Japanese.
- Supplemental for Airfare?
- Number of Scholarships: Approximately Fifteen persons.
- Nationality: International students (Non-Japanese)
- Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International students (Non-Japanese) are eligible for these Rotary Yoneyama Scholarships.
- Entrance Requirements: Overseas students meeting all of the following requirements are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Citizenship & Place of Residence Not be a citizen of Japan or be residing in Japan.
- Letter of Success or Permission for Pre-arrival Admission in Japanese University or Graduate School Have either obtained or be in the process of applying for pre-arrival admission approval or letter of success from the university or graduate school (under MEXT jurisdiction) to which you wish to enter as a degree student, and be scheduled for April 2017 or October (September) 2017 enrollment. If the applicants come to Japan to have the entrance examination (e.g., to take a written exam or interview), they must return to their residing country to apply for the scholarship. Those who enroll in undergraduates must submit a copy of admission, and those who enroll in graduate schools must submit a letter of recommendation from his/her supervisor/professor in Japanese graduate schools of their choice. If not submitted, their application will be rejected
- Scholastic and Health Requirements- Have an enthusiasm for study and clear-cut future goals, an awareness of and respect for cultural differences, and ability to express oneself fluently and to communicate smoothly, and both the mental and physical health needed to sustain one’s life as an overseas exchange student.
- Japanese Language Ability: As the page 6-7 shows, there are several conditions requiring Japanese language ability depend on the Rotary District where applicants’ targeted the university / graduate school is located. In either case, after arriving Japan, scholars are expected to make an effort to communicate in Japanese so as to better create and strengthen friendship ties with Japanese Rotarians.
- English Language Requirements: There are several conditions requiring Japanese language ability depend on the Rotary District where applicants’ targeted the university/graduate school is located. In either case, after arriving Japan, scholars are expected to make an effort to communicate in Japanese so as to better create and strengthen friendship ties with Japanese Rotarians.
How to Apply: The application and documents should be prepared in PDF format. After filling out the form, please save the file with your own name and the documents name like as follows. (example: applicant’s name Margaret King)
- The copy of the application for admission for the university/graduate school you are applying
- Research plan (prescribed form)
- Composition (purpose for studying in Japan)
- Letter of recommendation
- Copy of Letter of Acceptance
- Document certifying Japanese language proficiency
The Documents (5) and (6) can be sent to us directly from the university or schools you are applying by the deadline. Those who apply for Undergraduate don’t need to submit (3). Those who haven’t taken the Japanese Language Proficiency Test don’t need to submit (7).
- Please email them as attached documents to the Foundation at the following address apply-at-rotary-yoneyama.or.jp