Rothamsted International Fellowship Scheme is available for mid-career postdoctoral scientists with a minimum of 2 years experience from developing countries. Candidates without higher degrees but with equivalent research experience will also be considered.
The Rothamsted International Fellowship Scheme (RIFS) supports scientists from developing countries to train at Rothamsted Research for 6-12 months on a research project they develop jointly with a Project Leader at Rothamsted.
Rothamsted Research, previously known as the Rothamsted Experimental Station and then the Institute of Arable Crops Research, is one of the oldest agricultural research institutions in the world, having been founded in 1843.
Candidate must be of doctoral status, with at least two years post-doctoral experience. Candidates without Higher Degrees must have equivalent research experience to be considered eligible for the scheme. Applications will not be considered where the main objective of the visit is research leading to a higher degree for the Candidate.
Course Level: Fellowship is awarded to undertake research programme.
Study Subject(s): Fellowship proposals must be in agricultural, environmental, mathematical or computational sciences, and must be aligned with Rothamsted’s Research Strategy.
Scholarship Award: The fellowship provides funding for:
- An accommodation and subsistence allowance;
- One return journey between the home country and Rothamsted;
- A contribution towards institute/ project research costs.
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: The Candidate must meet the following criteria.
- be of doctoral status, with at least two years post-doctoral experience. Candidates without Higher Degrees must have equivalent research experience to be considered eligible for the scheme. Applications will not be considered where the main objective of the visit is research leading to a higher degree for the Candidate.
- The Candidate must be a citizen of a developing country, or have been based exclusively on a developing country. Please note that developing countries are defined as the countries listed on the DAC list of ODA recipients
- It is essential that the Candidate returns to employment in their home country where the work conducted in the fellowship can be applied. Candidates who have extensive and/or continuous employment in a developed country are not likely to be awarded an RI Fellowship. If the Candidate has previously travelled overseas to carry out research, there must be evidence that the skills gained have been applied in their home country.
- The Candidate should know their Rothamsted Project Leader (either directly or indirectly), or have been highly recommended.
- In addition to the support of the Rothamsted Research Project leader, applications must also have the support of the Head of Department where the fellowship will be hosted.
Nationality: Applicants from developing countries can apply for this fellowship:
List of the Countries: Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Albania, Anguilla, Angola, Ghana, Algeria, Antigua, Barbuda, Bangladesh, Kenya, Armenia, Argentina, Benin, Korea, Dem. Rep., Azerbaijan, Barbados, Bhutan, Kyrgyz Rep., Bolivia, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belize, Burundi, Pakistan, Cameroon, Botswana, Cambodia, Papua New Guinea, Cape Verde, Brazil, Central African Rep., Tajikistan, China, Chile, Chad, Uzbekistan, Colombia, Cook Islands, Comoros, Vietnam, Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Congo Dem. Rep., Zimbabwe, Dominican Republic, Croatia, Djibouti, Ecuador, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Egypt, Dominica, Eritrea, El Salvador, Fiji, Ethiopia, Former Yugoslav, Republic of Macedonia, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guatemala, Jamaica, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Kazakhstan, Haiti, Honduras, Lebanon, Kiribati, India, Libya, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Lesotho, Iran, Mauritius, Liberia, Iraq, Mayotte, Madagascar, Jordan, Mexico, Malawi, Kosovo, Montenegro, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Montserrat, Mali, Micronesia, Federated States Nauru, Mauritania, Moldova, Oman, Mozambique, Mongolia, Palau, Myanmar, Morocco, Panama, Nepal, Namibia, Serbia, Niger, Nicaragua, Seychelles, Rwanda, Niue, South Africa, Samoa, Palestinian Administered Areas, St. Helena São Tomé and Príncipe, Paraguay, St. Kitts-Nevis Senegal, Peru, St. Lucia, Sierra Leone, Philippines, St. Vincent and Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Somalia, Swaziland, Trinidad and Tobago, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, Tanzania, Thailand, Uruguay, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Venezuela, Togo, Tonga, Tuvalu, Tunisia, Uganda, Turkmenistan, Vanuatu, Ukraine, Yemen, Wallis and Futuna and Zambia
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Candidate must be of doctoral status, with at least two years post-doctoral experience. Candidates without Higher Degrees must have equivalent research experience to be considered eligible for the scheme. Applications will not be considered where the main objective of the visit is research leading to a higher degree for the Candidate.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply:
- Candidates need to make sure that their project idea is in-line with the research strategy at Rothamsted, which is summarised here.
- Candidates must then identify which Project Leader at Rothamsted to approach to develop this idea further. Candidates may identify the Project Leader either through their own direct contact with that person, recommendations via colleagues, scientific literature searches or through the relevant department at Rothamsted (see this webpage for details of the departments
- Once a Project Leader at Rothamsted has been identified, the candidate should complete the application form together with the Rothamsted Project Leader. The application form and further guidance notes should be obtained from the Project Leader at Rothamsted – application forms cannot be downloaded from this website.
- Applications must be submitted by the Project Leader at Rothamsted by 09:00 UK time (GMT) on 07 November 2016.
- This is a competitive scheme and proposals are reviewed by an expert Panel. The Panel’s decision is then communicated to the candidate and Project Leader. This typically occurs within two months of the application deadline.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is October 16, 2017.