Scholarship Opportunities in New Zealand for African Students
The New Zealand Development Scholarships (NZDS) scheme offers the opportunity from developing countries to undertake studies at tertiary education institutions in New Zealand. The students of Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe can apply for this scholarship. NZDS scholarships will be offered at postgraduate level for study in health, nutrition, rural livelihoods. Students must be of 40 years of age and have been working in their home country. Students must be proficient in English language.
Study Subject(s):The scholarship is provided to study in health (particularly public health, primary health, HIV/AIDS, infectious diseases) nutrition and rural livelihoods (including small and micro enterprise development).
Course Level:This scholarship is for pursuing Postgraduate, Undergraduate and PhD Degree level.
Scholarship Provider: New Zealand Government’s development cooperation programme in Africa.
Scholarship can be taken at: New Zealand
Applicants for NZDS must meet the generic NZDS eligibility criteria before their application will be considered against the selection criteria, including any criteria specific to Africa.
Applicants must: · be a citizen of Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia or Zimbabwe (i.e. permanent residents of these countries are not eligible to apply); · be residing in their country of citizenship, preferably for at least two years prior to application;
· not have citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand, Australia or another developed country.
· not be married or engaged to be married to a person who holds, or who is eligible to hold, citizenship or permanent residence status of New Zealand, Australia or another developed country; · (for candidates from Africa) be 40 years or under at the time of application;
· be applying to commence a new qualification and not be seeking funding for one already commenced in New Zealand or another country;
· not have completed, or nearly completed, a qualification at a similar level (i.e. applicants must apply for a higher level qualification than any previously attained), unless strong developmental relevance is demonstrated;
· satisfy the admission requirements of the New Zealand education institution at which the qualification is to be undertaken, including English language criteria;
· have been working in their home country, including since completing their highest tertiary qualification, for at least two years prior to application;
· be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to the their home country’s public, private or community sector (as relevant), and to the development of their home country in general; and
· be available to take up the scholarship in the academic year for which it is offered.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: The students of Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe can apply for this scholarship.
Scholarship Description: The New Zealand Development Scholarships (NZDS) scheme offers the opportunity to people from targeted developing countries to undertake development-related studies at tertiary education institutions in New Zealand. New Zealand Development Scholarships are a central part of the New Zealand Government’s development cooperation programme in Africa. In the southern and eastern Africa region, NZAID offers NZDS in the Open category (NZDS-Open) to candidates from Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Number of awards offered: New Zealand will offer up to 14 NZDS-Open scholarships for the region, with as equitable a spread as possible across all five eligible countries, for study beginning in the 2010 academic year.
Duration of award(s): Not Known
What does it cover? Not Known
Selection Criteria: · The proposed study programme links to one of the identified priority development sectors for Africa
· the applicant clearly demonstrates the developmental relevance and applicability of their proposed study programme to the human resource development training needs of their country;
· applicants for postgraduate study must hold a recognised Bachelors degree of strong academic merit, relevant to the proposed postgraduate qualification. (Note: NZAID gives preference to candidates who do not already hold a degree from a developed country);
· the applicant clearly demonstrates their links and commitment to their home country (e.g. services to their community, ability to influence change in a key development sector etc), supported by references. The proposed study programme must be relevant to:· recent paid and/or unpaid (volunteer) work experiences
5 · the training needs of the employing organisation; and
· identified employment opportunities on completion of their study.
· consideration of gender equity, including efforts to ensure the scholarships are offered equitably between male and female candidates
· consideration of other factors which will contribute to the success of their studies (e.g. good character, positive study attitude and motivation to succeed).
Notification: Not Known
How to Apply: The mode of applying is post.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application closing date varies for for New Zealand institutions.
Important: Scholarship-Positions.com is not responsible for the content of any external websites linked to or referenced on this site.
- Africa Scholarships
- Australia Scholarships
- Austria Scholarships
- Belgium Scholarships
- Canada Scholarships
- China Scholarships
- Denmark Scholarships
- France Scholarships
- Germany Scholarships
- Germany Postdoctoral
- India Scholarships
- Iran Scholarships
- Italy Scholarships
- Japan Scholarships
- New Zealand